Other Uses for Laundry Detergent

Laundry detergent can be put to other uses around the house. This is a guide about other uses for laundry detergent.

I just bought a new front-loading wash machine and I have to use special low suds detergent in it. So, I am left with a very large box of regular Tide detergent. Any ideas on how I can use the Tide in other cleaning tasks?

Marcie from Prairie du Sac, WI

Answers

Some people use Tide in carpet steam cleaning machines such as Rug Doctor that you can rent at Wal-Mart or other stores.

Dilute with water and use it in a spray bottle as a spot treater before washing laundry. I've been doing this for years.

I have used laundry detergent to absorb motor oil from leaks fom cars or changing the oil in cars or lawnmowers. It cleans as well as absorbs.

If your bathroom sinks, toilets, showers aren't extremely dirty and don't need real heavy duty cleaning, you can dilute it and put it in a spray bottle and use that to clean up with. And, it makes the bathroom smell good too. Also, you can put some in a little bowl and dilute with water and sit it around in different areas of your house on days when you have your windows open and it will make the whole house smell wonderful! I also keep some under my kitchen sink near the trash can to keep that from smelling.

Use your Tide the next time you mop your floor instead of "special" soap for your floor. My husband worked at a fast food place for over 10 years and they used Tide w/Bleach to clean their floors. It's an excellent cleaner and degreaser and it will make your whole house smell fresh.

Put it on cheapcycle in your area, someone will buy it.

I remember my mom using Tide to wash dishes when her dish soap ran out. I now keep a foaming type pump bottle with water and a little tide for that really stuck on food "stuff" and soak awhile. Works great.

Cheap or expensive detergent (in powder form) kills moss on your sidewalks. Just sprinkle some one, wait about 4 days till it turns a rusty color, then spray or sweep it off.

I have some old packages of Oxydol. I don't need them to go to hazard waste, but just to garbage; before that, I thought maybe there still might be some way to salvage them without polluting the environment.

Any use in gardens? Bug deterrent when diluted in water? Etc.?

By Sylvia