Storing Outdoor Cushions

Category Storage
Outdoor cushions should be stored over the winter or during inclement weather. Proper storage will keep bright colors from fading so fast and ensure years of usage.

After purchasing a much needed patio sofa set, I had a dilemma with how to store those large cushions when not in use. There was not a plastic container large enough to fit them at the big box stores and purchasing a large storage container that might double as a bench at 1/3 of the cost of the patio set was out of question.

The solution was zippered garment bags that I found at a big box store for $2.97 - I needed four. Two cushions fit perfectly and they zipped up to keep pests out. I added cedar disks for additional pest control and to keep the cushions smelling fresh.

Want to leave those outside chair cushions outside but keep them protected? Make a "pillowcase" from heavy MM clear plastic, cut slits where the ties of your cushions are, bring the ties out through the plastic, and tie as you would secure your cushions. They are simple to remove if you don't want to sit on the plastic but will protect your cushions from moisture, soil and in my case, my cat who loves to lay on my lounger when not in use.

By Ann Winberg from Loup City, NE