Painting an Open Concept Kitchen and Living Room

Category Painting
Coordinating color choices for two combined living spaces can be a challenge. This guide is about painting an open concept kitchen and living room.

I have an open concept kitchen/dining room/living room. I have an L shaped kitchen that leads into the dining room. I recently painted both walls in my kitchen a light/soft gold color. I am wondering what color to paint the long wall that leads from the dining room into the living room and also the other wall with the large window and front door. My furniture in the living room is dark brown with gold toned carpeting. I was thinking either Glidden's Warm Caramel or Gentle Fawn. Is it OK to have 2 walls of each? Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks much.

By Carol O.

Answers

If those two colors look good with each other, and with the kitchen color, I can see no reason why you can't paint whichever walls you want. I wasn't sure if you were asking if you could have 2 walls each of 2 colors, or 3 different colors on the whole area. Anyway, if the colors co-ordinate, and you like them, go for it, either way.

I would carry the dining room colour all the way into the living room. That way eyes aren't strained adjusting to the colour changes on the same length of wall. You could use a vertical divider strip on the wall between DR and LR but that can be jarring to the eye too, and emphasise the smallness of the space (if small).

Where the walls intersect at the 'L' you could go with the darker or lighter shade-then it would serve as an accent wall whilst still subtly telling the eye (and thus the brain:) that there are two distinct functions to the space.

I love those colours you are using! I hope you post back in with what ever you decide, and maybe a pic or two as well.