Painting on Denim

I have been looking at painted denim clothing and want to design a jeans jacket for the Fourth of July. I am wondering what type of paint and if fabric paint is the best option? I also have tons of acrylic paint already and was wondering if I could just use that to save money and use it before it dries out. What are some tips you would have before, during, or after finishing the product?

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

Fabric paint is the way to go.

Anonymous

Acrylic paint will wash out pretty quickly. Your best option is most definitely fabric paint!

Fabric paint is most definitely the way to go. Acrylic paint is not a good option for painting fabric because it washes off/out easily.

I use fabric paint I get from Walmart and Amazon :)

Since this seems to be a new project with you, I would recommend that you do a lot of reading/research before "jumping in".
My daughter does some of this and she did hours of research before she started and then tried several ways of doing the design and painting before settling on one method. Her biggest advice (after research) is to be sure your items are very clean (never use fabric softener) and old items turn out better but if working with a new item, it is best to wash it numerous times before starting your adventure.
Be sure to work in an area where clean up is easy (this can be messy) and a place where all of your "stuff" can be left for days untouched.

You will find a lot of "do this and don't do that" in your research but then another will say just the opposite, so sometimes it may have to be trial and error. I would suggest working on 2 or 3 items of less importance before tackling a major job.
Here are a couple of comments regarding the do and don't and then the opposite: research and trial and error may be the only way.

"You can also use acrylics you buy at your craft store you just need to mix in textile medium into your paints. You can find it right next to the other bottles that you buy at your craft store. You will not get as vibrant colors as you would if you use fabric paints."
Opposite: "Acrylic with medium tends to be hard and paint like, and I do not have a single item that used acrylic that I have been happy with after a few wears."

So - best plan - research and then just have fun.

Here are some sites that we use: (Thriftyfun from the past has some very good suggestions).

http://www.thri … 4317933.tip.html

http://www.goog … -diy-your-denim/

This is good information because I have plenty of fabric paint I never used and decided to make some denim earrings. This article is helpful because now I know to use acrylic paint on leather and fabric paint on denim and other fabrics.