Painting on Denim

Category Painting
There are some techniques that can aid in making a success of your fabric painting projects. This is a guide about tips for painting on denim.

I need some tips for painting on denim. My stepdaughter painted some jackets for her son and my daughter. My daughter's jacket turned out great but her son's jacket didn't cover as well. It was a dark denim. She put several coats of orange paint but it looks as if she only did a half of a coat! The white paint covered fine but not the orange. What are the best paints? Is there a 'base' coat to use?

Brenda from West Virginia

Answers

Best Answer

When painting on dark fabric, it's a good idea to put a white coat on before adding the colors (in this case orange). The white can then allow the orange to look bright. Those are darling jackets. Your stepdaughter did a good job!!!

Best Answer

I agree about the white paint. Also, she may or may not be aware; but you can buy a product called "textile medium" or "fabric medium" in the acrylic paint aisle at the store. When mixed with the paint, it improves the paint's ability to adhere to the fabric fibers and keeps the dried paint softer (and less stiff) when dry.

The jackets are adorable! She did a wonderful job! But now she is going to have to stop feeding the kids so they won't outgrow them! (Just kidding!)

Best Answer

Another thing that can affect whether the paint adheres is if you washed and dried the clothing with fabric softener before hand. Wash and dry, but DO NOT USE FABRIC SOFTENER. Otherwise I agree with the others, add fabric medium to regular craft paint or if you want to do more fabric painting, invest in paint that is actually made to use on fabric, ie Tulip or Decoart. The idea of basecoating with white is also an excellent one.

By donna (Guest Post)
Best Answer

If you want bright full color on a dark denim or any dark fabric you need to put a silver paint neatly into the area that will be painted with light bright color. The silver is a very effective color block to paint over. Use fabric paints or add fabric additive in acrylic paints to keep a soft feel in the garment.

Straight acrylic paints make a garment stiff where I have painted. There is a cover white paint sold also that blocks the dark undertones. Hope this helps you. Let the undercoat of paint dry before adding the final color.

Best Answer

Important: Use Rubber Cement for your base coat before you start painting to keep the fabric pliable. Tried and tested method that works. otherwise you will wind up with a surface that will be hard and will crack over time.

Acrylic will adhere to the Rubber Cement well. Do NOT use GESSO or white house paint for a base coat. Do not use oil paint. Fabric paint is garbage as you can't mix colors and get good secondary colors. Hopefully it goes without saying you let the rubber cement dry first, before starting to paint.

I have been looking at painted denim clothing and want to design a jeans jacket for the Fourth of July. I am wondering what type of paint and if fabric paint is the best option? I also have tons of acrylic paint already and was wondering if I could just use that to save money and use it before it dries out.

What are some tips you would have before, during, or after finishing the product?

Answers

Fabric paint is the way to go.

Anonymous

Acrylic paint will wash out pretty quickly. Your best option is most definitely fabric paint!

Fabric paint is most definitely the way to go. Acrylic paint is not a good option for painting fabric because it washes off/out easily.

I use fabric paint I get from Walmart and Amazon :)

Since this seems to be a new project with you, I would recommend that you do a lot of reading/research before "jumping in".

My daughter does some of this and she did hours of research before she started and then tried several ways of doing the design and painting before settling on one method. Her biggest advice (after research) is to be sure your items are very clean (never use fabric softener) and old items turn out better but if working with a new item, it is best to wash it numerous times before starting your adventure.
Be sure to work in an area where clean up is easy (this can be messy) and a place where all of your "stuff" can be left for days untouched.
You will find a lot of "do this and don't do that" in your research but then another will say just the opposite, so sometimes it may have to be trial and error. I would suggest working on 2 or 3 items of less importance before tackling a major job.
Here are a couple of comments regarding the do and don't and then the opposite: research and trial and error may be the only way.

"You can also use acrylics you buy at your craft store you just need to mix in textile medium into your paints. You can find it right next to the other bottles that you buy at your craft store. You will not get as vibrant colors as you would if you use fabric paints."
Opposite: "Acrylic with medium tends to be hard and paint like, and I do not have a single item that used acrylic that I have been happy with after a few wears."
So - best plan - research and then just have fun.

Here are some sites that we use: (Thriftyfun from the past has some very good suggestions).

http://www.thri  4317933.tip.html

http://www.goog  -diy-your-denim/

This is good information because I have plenty of fabric paint I never used and decided to make some denim earrings. This article is helpful because now I know to use acrylic paint on leather and fabric paint on denim and other fabrics.

I painted a jean jacket using plain acrylic paints. However, I want to wear it out without it getting wrecked (by rain, or cracking, etc.). Is there something I can spray on top of it or any idea of what I can do?

Answers

You can use a. Scotchgard type protector. It comes in a can.