Peanut Butter Cereal Cookies

It's been a longtime pattern in our house that we end up having a quarter of a bag of each kind of cereal sitting in the cupboards. Perhaps we get bored of them after a while, I'm not quite sure. I've found a great way to get more use out of them when they're being ignored is to turn them into cookies. Here, I've used the last of my raisin bran and crispy rice cereals to make peanut butter cookies. They are light, flakey, and hard to resist!

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: 25 minutes

Yield: 30 cookies

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. In a bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
  2. In another bowl, mix together the butter, peanut butter, sugars, and egg.
  3. Pour the flour mixture into the wet mixture and stir until completely smooth.
  4. Stir in the cereal.
  5. Make tablespoon sized mounds of the dough and drop them onto an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for about 15 minutes, until lightly browned.

Sounds good and I'll make some soon.

Here's another way to move along the neglected cereals ... I like old fashioned Bird's Eye custard, the kind you cook, and it's especially good when served cold with a dollop of maple syrup or jam on top. After making it and when its' still slightly warm, I fold in the cereal. It thickens the custard a bit but that's ok and it's a great way to add more fiber to your diet.

Isn't it wonderful to be adventurous in cooking and frugal at the same time?

Oo I like that idea, Mina! I do love a bit of crunch added to my custard. I have some Bird's custard in the cupboard-- this is happening ;)

I am really glad you posted this way to use neglected cereals! :)

Yep, I've got the same thing going on, Raisin Bran and the others are just sitting in the cupboard taking up a lot of space, and usually, the only way they finally end up getting thrown out is when we buy more cereal and need the spot to put them in, then the old cereal goes, and then the new box ends up doing the same thing (we'll eat a bowl or two from it) then it sits...and sits.

I think what you said about getting bored with the cereals is what happens.

I never knew they could be used to make cookies.

I LOVE this recipe using those ignored cereals:)

Thank you Attosa.

You're so welcome! I always stare at the boxes and swear I'll eat them but never do. The first two bowls are so yummy, then it's like, "Meh!" This way, they are transformed into something new. My brother-in-law said he did not like peanut butter things, but somehow he ate several of these. Hmmm! ;)