Permed Bleached Hair Dry and Brittle

My hair was bleached 2 months ago, and I had it permed last day, but the result made me sad. I have got brittle, dry, damaged hair. It's like I can't comb my hair, for it's damaged too much. I don't want to cut my hair, what should I do? I really need help.

By Nancy

Best Answer

Hairstylists use a conditioning product called "balsam" to repair damaged hair. I have seen it sold at "dollar" and other discount stores. It's a really thick conditioner that works amazingly well.

I sympathize with you because that has happened to me once but I didn't bleach my hair but had it permed because my hair is fine, thin and straight. The hair dresser used a perm product that was too strong for my hair type and the smell was awful. No matter how much I washed my hair the horrible smell just lingered. My scalp and neck was very irritated and itchy. It was really a bad situation.

I didn't want to cut my hair either but what I did was have a "good" hair dresser cut a 1/4 or 1/2" so that each month you keep trimming the damage hair. Before u know it - your natural hair will come back to you faster than you think.

I stopped getting my hair permed - I think that I looked more natural and younger with own hair and the best part is that it is not damaged anymore. Also, people have noticed that I look a whole lot better after I trimmed all the hair that looked like brillo steel wool pads on my head. Now, it looks healthy, bouncy and shiny and I can comb through my hair without it snagging.

I heard that putting a good amount of mayonnaise on your hair and then take a plastic bag to cover your head. Make a nice knot so that it is not loose. Wear it as long as you can because the plastic bag will generate heat and hopefully, will penetrate your damaged hair but it might be a very long shot. I can't verify that it works or not but I have read this tip in a fashion magazine.

I did try putting olive oil in my hair - big big mistake. My hair absorbed all the oil and looked greasy, limp and dirty. It took me a long long time to get it out of my hair. This was another tip I got out of a fashion magazine...I can say for sure this is a big No No. I learned my lesson for sure.