Pet Hedgehog Information and Photos
Hedgehogs are a good choice for a family pet if you are looking for an exotic pet that is small, relatively easy to care for, and quite friendly. This is a guide about pet hedgehog information and photos.
Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.
How come my hedgehog doesn't like water?
Answer this Question...
October 23, 20170 found this helpful
Caring for a hedgehog:
- Hedgehog's won't drink out of water bottles like some other animals do.
- You should give the hedgehog a bowl to drink out of.
- Make sure the bowl isn't too deep.
- Don't keep the cage of your hedgehog on the floor.
- It is too cold.
- Move it up a bit to a warmer location.
- Make sure it isn't getting cold or a breeze in on him.
- Make sure you check your thermostat and it is working correctly. You might need to change this because at times they do go bad.
- Check to see if the hedgehog has mites. This could be a problem and cause them to stop drinking water.
Are hedgehogs interactive or are they one of those just watch me pets? I'm wanting to hear from those who have them or have had them. Can you play and cuddle with them? Are they high maintenance like my ferrets were?
By Cassie W.Answer this Question...
Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.
May 17, 201024 found this helpful
Quillie Nelson is an 8 month old Hedgehog. I got him March 2010. He likes to stick his nose in the grass and forage for food.
Elvis is a 1 year old Pygmy Hedgehog. I found him using CraigsList. We found a hedgehog shelter and adopted him from a terrific woman. Elvis stays fit by running on his wheel. He loves to cuddle and explore. Elvis enjoys baths and meeting new people. He wants to be friendly with the cats but they don't appreciate his quills.
It's hard to be unhappy in the presence of Elvis.
Hedgehogs are thrifty pets. They seldom need vet care and don't cause allergic reactions in most people. Hedgehog chow is inexpensive. All of our pets are "recycled" -that is they come from shelters. Never underestimate the joy given by our smaller friends.
November 7, 20081 found this helpful
Roxy is an African Pygmy Hedgehog and is 6 months old. I got her from a breeder. She likes to hide in my sweater.
By Shawn from Seattle, WA
Lulu is 6. I got her from a humane society. She likes to play with a ball. She is my love.