These are little tiny little tea cakes with a topping of preserves. They are cut with a scalloped cookie cutter or shaped in a scallop. They are kind of cute sitting next to a cup of tea as sparkling "flowers" to brighten your tea tray.
I leave them in the muffin cups, I think they are cute that way.
Total Time: 20 minutes plus overnight
Yield: 18 tartlets
- 1/2 cup shortening part butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 regular egg
- 3/4 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt (no salt if using self rising flour)
- 1/4 tsp soda (1/8 if using self rising flour)
- 1 jar strawberry, apricot or cherry preserves
- Mix shortening, sugar, egg, and vanilla.
- Sift flour, salt, and soda together.
- Blend into shortening mixture and mix with hands.
- Refrigerate dough for several hours or overnight.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Roll dough 1/8 inch thick on lightly floured, cloth covered board.
- Cut with 3 inch round scalloped cutter.
- Ease rounds into muffin cups.
- Fill each with 1/2 tablespoon preserves.
- Bake about 12 minutes.
- Cool a few minutes before removing from muffin cups.
- Makes about 18 tartlets.
- If using self rising flour, omit salt and reduce soda to 1/8 teaspoon.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!