Making a Plastic Bottle Animal Planter

Category Planters
Save your bottles to make this adorable planter for spring seedlings. This is a guide about making a plastic bottle animal planter.

Upcycle your used plastic drink bottles to make animal themed planters. The little nubs on the bottom of the bottle make for really cute and chubby animal legs!

Total Time: 1 hour

Yield: 1 planter

• 1 medium to large plastic drink bottle
  • scissors
  • acrylic paints
  • paint brush or sponge
  • marker
  • newspaper

1. Peel off any labeling. Clean and dry the outside of the bottle.
  2. Puncture the bottle with your scissors then start cutting horizontally in half. If you want to do something like a bunny with tall ears, cut higher up the bottle.
  3. Cut the back half of the bottle off. The front will have your animal face and ears.
  4. Make a short vertical cut down the middle of the front of your bottle. You can use the middle between the two "feet" at the bottom as your guide. This cut will serve as the halfway point of your animal face, between its ears.
  5. Cut out the shape of your animal's ears.
  6. Start painting your bottle on top of some newspaper. I used a sponge brush so there would be no streaks, using a swipe and dab method. I spread my non-painting hand out on the inside of the bottle to keep my hands clean while I turned the bottle. You could also use spray paint. Let dry.
  7. Start adding details like ears and a nose. I mixed paint in the bottle top to be extra thrifty!
  8. For more precise details, go in with a marker for eyes and whiskers. I put little paws on the bottle nubs.
  9. You can transfer an entire potted plant into this as long as it fits, or put flowers and water directly inside.

Very cute....and empty 2 lt soda bottles I sure do have. These would be a good winter project for me to put in my flower gardens next spring, by then I could create a few cute critters.

Bunnies, kitties, puppies. The bottles make for such cute chubby animal shapes. Enjoy!!! :)