Plastic Canvas Craft Ideas

A material that is easy to work with and can be used to create a variety of things. This guide contains plastic craft ideas.

This is a Christmas gift I made. It is napkin holder made with plastic canvas. The second picture is another plastic canvas craft I made for Christmas. It is a wall or door hanger. This one is a fairly easy project.

By Pico from St. Paul, Alberta

This is a tissue box cover and coaster holder with 6 matching coasters.

By Cricketnc

This is a plastic canvas project. It is derived from a pattern for a tissue box cover, and can be adjusted to go with any tissue box cover pattern you want to use. These are the changes I am making to the pattern.

For the top piece, instead of cutting the center out to allow for the tissue to come through, I'm leaving it whole. I will fill it in with stitching to match the pattern. Another change to this piece is that instead of stitching the top piece to the sides all the way around, I will only attach it on one side, thereby creating a "hinge". I will attach a small piece of Velcro with a decoration glued to it to match the pattern (in this case a plastic canvas flower). This will keep the lid closed but easily accessible when needed.

If you'd prefer, you can make the top piece a little larger than the pattern calls for, and make side pieces to create a regular box lid. Also I cut a piece for a bottom of the box. Needless to say no stitching necessary on this piece other than to attach it to the box. The reason for these changes is that instead of keeping a box of tissues in there, I plan on keeping my "unmentionable" items (in my case Kotex) in it. They will be readily available when I need them, but my family and guests won't be having to see them.

I plan to make a matching small "cup" to hold my disposable razors also.

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

A package of 10 plastic cross stitch star patterns cost me about $2. I was given a bunch of yarn and I made up my own patterns. I did all ten at once.

Approximate Time: 4-5 hours

Instructions:

1. Thread the crochet/cross stitch needle with the yarn as you would a regular needle and thread. Knot at the end.
  2. Come up the plastic backing from behind where you want to begin and thread all or most of the holes any way you like.
  3. You can skip holes and simply cover like a pattern as you see in the photo.
  4. You can also take care to cover all the plastic very carefully if you wish.
  5. When you run out of yarn, thread some more and begin where you left off.

By Carly from Lynnwood, WA

I purchased a spice rack with a pineapple motif done in needlepoint on the front. I didn't particularly like the pineapple motif so I removed the plastic canvas piece. I was looking all over for something to put in its place. Then I thought, duh, rip out the old design and needlepoint another!

So, I sat down and ripped out the old design while I was watching TV at night. It took me quite a while, but I got it done. I then found a pattern for my UGA head. For those of you who are not from Georgia, UGA is the mascot for the University of Georgia Bulldogs and the most recognized mascot of all college teams (per Sports Illustrated).

Then I went about re-needle pointing the head and freehanded the design for the DAWGS below the head on my salvaged plastic canvas. Then I popped the new design back into the cabinet front. As you can see, I refurbished my spice rack and made it my own!

This is going into my University of Georgia themed room in my home. It is a guest/craft/sewing room. It will be holding spools of thread rather than spices. I hope that this recycling of the plastic canvas piece inspires others to do the same and reuse what you have or find before tossing them into a landfill.

The only thing left to say is "Go Dawgs!"

Source: Me: Being the thrifty/frugal/cheap person I am. I always try to think of a way to use something before it goes into the recycling.

By Southeastgeorgiapeach from Jesup, GA

Following the instructions in the booklet, I made the letters that spelled out each of my childrens' names. I glued googly eyes tiny pom pom noses onto each of them. Then I attached a magnet to the back of each one.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 1

Salvaging Smelly Plastic Canvas. If you get plastic canvas that smells bad, try putting it in a sink full of hot water and dish soap. Let it set for an hour, take it out and put it on a towel. This also works with plastic canvas that is not flat.

Want a simple craft to do for the novice crafter? Try plastic canvas. The canvas is inexpensive and you can get really nice yarn cheap or free from freecycle sometimes.

I had a pattern for a 3-D bird that my daughter wanted to use for decorating the hall at her wedding. I took it a bit further and redesigned it to make candle holders for the tables.

I wanted to see if I could crochet on plastic canvas without any sewing and ended up with this trinket box made on 5-mesh plastic canvas. I used a size D crochet hook so it would fit through the holes and worsted weight yarn.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 1

I haven't made my project yet so can't send a picture. I just got done cutting the pieces out and will start stitching it tomorrow.

This guide contains plastic canvas purse patterns. A flexible material that can be fashioned into many useful things.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This guide contains tips for making plastic canvas snowflakes. Plastic canvas is a versatile material that can be cut into all kinds of shapes, including snowflakes.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Using plastic canvas and ribbon or yarn you can create a beautiful easy to make cross. This is a guide about making a plastic canvas cross craft.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

After seeing some pictures of Japanese plastic canvas, I got out my worsted weight yarn, my plastic canvas, a needle and whipped up a pattern for the flower. I hope those of you who do plastic canvas or design your own, will be able to make use of it.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

I'm looking for the letter "A" in English style in plastic canvas? Any suggestions?

By Diana

Answers

Go to http://stencilletters.org Print and create a free stencil and proceed from there. Good luck.

Does anyone know where I can find a plastic canvas pattern of a man with movable arms?

Florence

Answers

http://www.plastic-canvas.com/
Maybe you can find one here. Or email them,they might help you find what you need. GG Vi

Does anyone know where I can get a pattern for a deer or a black bear in plastic canvas?

Vicky from Canadensis, PA

Answers

Here is one link:
http://www.craf … om/pcdeerset.htm

Also try this one - they had a lot of different styles
http://www.freepatterns.com

I'm looking for a plastic canvas pattern for the Detroit Red Wings.

By Isabella

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

I designed this ribbon for a teacher at the preschool. I made the baby one first, then the teacher did not want a bow on top of hers. I took a picture of the school then cut and colored mine to match.

By Randa

Plastic canvas letter ribbons.

Comment Like this photo? 2