Playing With Your Cat

Category Cat Toys
Enjoying your house cat can include toys for interactive play. This guide is about playing with your cat.

Last night, I was playing this little game I have, that was just a dollar, and you flip these little frogs into this bowl.

My cat, Peanut, came up to see what it was.

I started telling him what I was doing, and showing him each frog. He watched intently. I would put the frogs on the side of the bowl when I missed. When I was through, I asked him if he wanted to play.

He put his paw in and touched the frogs in the bowl. I told him how good he was. I put one in front of him and he tried to pick it up with his teeth.

(I have to watch, since these plastic pieces are not pet safe, if he swallows them he could get hurt.)

I am going to make him a bunch of stuffed little frogs or maybe even fishes to throw into the bowl. He really loved this kind of thing. I am going to make him a box with a paper ball in it and teach him how to play basketball with it. He is one one my more unusual cats, and now that I know he likes games, it might make his day fuller. It was so cute, I had to share. Here he is, taking a nap.

I have a 4 year old cat who seems bored lately. He won't play very much anymore. His health is fine. We both work days, so he is home alone from 10 AM till 4 PM, but he seems to sleep during that period. I was wondering if I should get a kitten for him to play with? He is pretty skittish with other animals and doesn't seem to like other animals. This makes me nervous that he wouldn't like another cat in the house. Right now we live in a three bedroom apartment. What do you think? Can anyone share their experiences of bringing in a kitten with a 4 year old cat?

Thanks,
ED from Ottawa, Canada

Answers

It sounds like he needs something to play with ....another kitty would be a problem if he wouldn't accept it. They have interactive toys that might help. I would also consider talking to a vet about him.

It can take some time but a kitty just might be what he needs. And let me say that it should be a kitten and not another adult cat. It would be best to introduce the two over a weekend or when you have a few days off. You may have to referee the first day or so but most cats will eventually welcome and learn to love their little brother or sister. We just introduced two kittens to our family of four adult cats and two dogs and I am happy to say that in less than two weeks everyone is getting along just fine. Good luck!

Your cat may need a playmate. Try to get a kitten from a shelter or one that is less than 6 months old. I worked for a year at a cat shelter and that is where I got my third cat from and by luck it took less than and hour for all to get to know each other. Also one of my cats was a difficult cat and even with her the introduction went well because the new cat knows how to act around other cats. I wish you the best of luck from a cat lover.

Or maybe he just is at the age where he is in a routine and likes to sleep. My mom has an older cat, and trust me she doesnt like any other cats and barely tolerates dogs.

Try toys. My cat loved those ones you get for a dollar like a plastic fishing rod with string and toy
at end and she would jump sky hi for it or bat it
around.. I also made my cat a crinkly pillow; stuffed a small pillowcase full of walmart plastic bags and
sewed end shut. she would chase, pounce and sleep on this. I used to leave tv on sometimes too.
Cats sleep I think its like 18-20 hours a day so yes they do sleep alot. Also at age 3 they usuallsy lose some of the CRAZY, wild ways...how about a goldfish in bowl to challenge cat? Good luck let us
know how it goes.Oh cats do mourn when my dad
died the cat was devastated finally 3 months later she started to eat a little again. She finally recovered.

My big cat was about 4 when I got a new kitten. Although he didn't like the kitten at first, they did quickly become friends & played together. Then when he was about 6, and the younger kitty was about 2, I got my 3rd cat. They were all skittish at first, but they do get used to each other. Now, all 3 chase each other & play. It may be good for your cat and will save another kitty!

Ed -- We have a three year old male cat who seems to be mellowing with age, too. He used to be silly and play but now he seems to be content to just snooze and go outside and lay in the sun. About a year ago we found a stray female kitten who was about 4 months old. We thought we'd bring her in and it didn't take long for our male cat to get used to her (I think he was more annoyed than anything - "how dare we bring in a new, wild kitty into the family?!") and they get along great now. But I should say that our male cat is more of a lover, not a fighter and he gets along with just about anything.

I thought I read somewhere that it's easier to bring another animal into an adult male cat's home than it is to bring one into an adult female cat's home. Maybe you have friends with a kitten who could bring it over for a visit to see how your cat does before you commit to buying one for yourself? Good luck

I HAVE READ IN DIFFERENT VET COLUMNS THAT IT IS NOT GOOD LEAVING AN ANIMAL HOME ALL ALONE WHILE WE WORK ESPECIALLY IF THEY ARE INSIDE.
CATS ARE SOCIAL ANIMALS AND NEED TO INTERACT. I THINK IT WOULD BE A GREAT AID AND IDEA TO GET A COMPANION. WHY NOT ASK YOUR VET IF A KITTEN WOULD BE APPROPRIATE? ALSO, THERE ARE DEFINITE PREFERRED METHODS FOR INTRODUCING A NEW ANIMAL IN THE HOUSE TO MAKE THE ACCEPTANCE AND ADJUSTMENT EASY FOR BOTH OF THEM. FIRST YOU PUT THE NEW KITTY IN ANOTHER ROOM WITH THE DOOR CLOSED FOR A TIME (CAN'T REMEMBER HOW MANY DAYS). THE PRESENT OCCUPANT WILL SMELL THE NEW ONE AND EVENTUALLY THEY WILL START PLAYING WITH EACH OTHERS PAWS IF YOU HAVE A DOOR THE NEW KITTY'S PAWS CAN FIT UNDER. WISH I COULD BE MORE SPECIFIC. I'M SURE IT'S ON THE INTERNET SOMEPLACE. SO GOOD OF YOU TO TAKE SUCH INTEREST AND CARE OF YOUR LITTLE ONE.