Pork and Shrimp Spring Rolls
Spring rolls make a perfect healthy appetizer or snack. Not to mention, making spring rolls at home is relatively easy, affordable and you can make a lot! The spring rolls here at our local restaurants average $5 to $6 for 2 spring rolls. For our light lunch, we all had 5 rolls each. Had we bought them at the restaurant, that would have been a crazy price! Even after making 20 rolls, we had a lot of noodles and rice paper left for future use.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes + rolling as you eat
Yield: 4 people
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 whole, 3 cloves garlic
- 1 large wedge lemon
- 3 thin pieces ginger
- 1 lb pork belly
- 1 lb shrimp
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 lb noodles
- 1 cilantro
- 1 mint
- 4 Japanese cucumbers
- 1 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 package brown rice paper
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- nuts (optional)
- Wash pork belly. Slice into pieces so it cooks faster.
- In a large pot, over medium high heat bring 1/2 gallon of water to boil. Once boiled, add 1 tsp of salt and add your garlic, ginger, lemon and onion.
- Allow your pot to boil. Once boiling add your meat pieces. Cover with lid and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add in 1 lb cleaned shrimp. Cover the lid and allow to boil, about 5 minutes longer.
- Now turn off the heat. Leave lid covered for 15 minutes.
- In the mean time, you can boil and cook your noodles. Check your noodle packaging for instructions on how to cook as it varies on brand.
- Prep your vegetables, wash cilantro, mint and cut cucumbers.
- To make your dipping sauce, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add minced garlic until browned. Add 1 cup hoisin sauce stir around, then add 1/3 cup water and 2 tsp sugar. Optional: Crushed nuts
- Now scoop out the shrimp and peel the skin.
- Scoop out the meat and slice.
- Now ready to assemble and roll your spring rolls. Dip rice paper in hot water and place on plate. Then add your noodles, vegetables, pork and shrimp to roll. Serve with your dipping sauce and enjoy!
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!