Preventing Leg Ulcers

Reduce the risk of developing a leg ulcer with these helpful tips. This is a guide about preventing leg ulcers.

From my two long ago blood clots, I have a perennial threat of developing a leg ulcer, suffering pain, Una-boots in July and huge medical bills for "wound care" visits. As a result, I live in constant fear of bumping my shins on or scraping my lower legs on some hard object and tearing that ripe pear-like skin causing an infection to begin and then an ulcer!

Most patients like me know the basic prevention tools; 1) Good quality moisturizing lotions applied AM and PM, and 2: Wearing compression stockings. However, much to my dismay I found that neither of these things will protect my legs from trauma wounds (skin punctures) caused by being bumped or scraped by a hard object (bleeding through stocking!) such as the sharp metal foot platform of one of those machines at your gym.

My tried and true protection from trauma to my lower legs is simple but was very difficult to discover. Finding it took a vast amount of online time searching. Finally, I found almost (because Kevlar insert only on shin side) the perfect item. Mountain biking shin guards!

If you wear these soft black, wrap around neoprene sleeves on your lower legs (ankle to knee), they will protect your fragile edema weakened skin from most bangs, scrapes, punctures and toenail tears. They are waterproof and sweat proof too.

However these shin guards are not substitutes for compression stockings. When I went a long stretch without wearing my hose beneath the guards, my legs began itching constantly which I scratched more and more until I got sores and ulcers. (9 expensive months in wound care!)

The "magic" product is named "Scabs" by Smith Safety Gear. They are velcro close-able and washable by hand with disinfectant sprays or mild soaps. It may work best if you order at least two pairs so one can be washed while you wear the other.

If products offered are too small for your legs, you might be able to wear two on one leg connected with the velcro straps or mini bungee cords.

Source: I first tried simple soccer shin guards but found them too limited to protect sides and back of my legs. Also, first I searched the web using works "leg' and "shin guards."

Link: http://www.cambriabike.com/Sixsixone-Evo-Shin-Guard-Black-Large.asp

Here is help for people who've had DVTs or Post-Thrombotic Syndrome in their lower legs and who's skin is very delicate and easily torn or punctured by hard objects. I'm one of these and, in addition to the other items I've suggested on this site prior, this one may be stronger, easier to make and cheaper to buy the raw material for!

To make this type of lower leg armor, I've used an ordinary plastic "Flex-A-Spout" from the garden center or roofing gutter sections of Home Depot, etc. ($8-10). From one spout, two, three or four leg guards could be had.

The trick is to pull/stretch out the accordion folds to a length which fits the tender skin area on your leg. Cut horizontally at one of the inner folds then cut vertically from end to end. The plastic edges along the vertical cut will be sharp so should be smoothed down with sandpaper or a sandpaper sponge block or maybe covered with heavy tape so as not to scratch your skin while putting around the leg!

Pull both sides of this corrugated tube apart enough to fit it around the calf from the back (or front?). Once on the leg, bring part of the tube together with string, wire or rubber band. Where the tube is open along the vertical slit, one can augment with a conventional sports shin guard. Use both the tube and guard together in order to provide 360 degrees of armor protecting your lower legs from scrapes and punctures, usually requiring expensive and painful ulcer and wound-care nursing!

Determined to find a whole leg hard guard, I found plastic tree trunk protectors to have some potential, I think! Basically you "stitch" two together for each leg (or more for big lower legs) and join them by sticking the tabs into whichever slots are "your size". I guess wiring the tabs shut would be the next possible step for anyone doing hard labor or sports!