AppliancesCleaning

Preventing Mold Growth on a Freezer Kept on a Porch

I have a deep freezer that we keep outside on our back porch. I clean it and after a couple of days it gets wet on top of the freezer and green. How do I keep it clean?

Put an old towel on top of it and change the towel often.

I have friends that used to do this (until they realized that in the summer it was costing a fortune to keep it on the porch) and they moved it back into the basement.

They just wiped it down every few days with bleach and a clean sponge and they were OK.

My fear with using a towel is 2 fold...the towel would start to stink and no matter how much you wash it, that stench would hit you when you get on the porch and 2 that if there is any wind, then you have to weight it down or it blows away and then it becomes more trouble than it is worth.

A little sponge and bleach goes a long way. Wear gloves!!