Protecting Abandoned Duck Eggs?

0
Share
2
Save
Follow
Print

There was a mother duck in one of my planter boxes in my backyard. The mother duck laid 10 eggs and was scared off by a raccoon. She has been gone for almost 24 hours. The raccoon ate 4 of the eggs, there are now 6 eggs left. I have a feeling the mother is not coming back. What should I do with the 6 eggs? I don't want to raccoon to get to them.

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 105 Posts
Best Answer

Truthfully there is not a lot you can do. You can gather up the eggs and try to use a special light to hatch the eggs yourself at home. Or you can pick them up and throw them away so the racoon can't eat them. If you try to put a net over them or a wire over them the duck will more then likely not come back and the eggs will spoil and they will need to be thrown away.

Gold Answer Medal for All Time! 617 Answers
Best Answer

It's possible that this is the law of the jungle at play, that the duck has moved on and laid elsewhere, or possibly even died.

How long did she lay on them?

If less than a day or so, there's probably nothing left to salvage. For your peace of mind, just remove them.

Better Living Green Living WildlifeMay 19, 2020
😎
🎆
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Protecting-Abandoned-Duck-Eggs.html