Protecting Painted Laminate Kitchen Countertop

I, on a whim, painted my laminate kitchen countertop without any real prep; it is now chipping. Will applying Minwax polycrylic help? If not, is there anything I can do or am I doomed?

By Daniel B.

You are either going to have to replace it, or somehow strip it all off and do it again AFTER prepping it. I think they make a product to remove the paint off of laminate--check at Lowe's or Home Depot. I had a friend do the same thing, in a hurry and didn't prep it. She talked to one of the stores and they helped her with what product to use.

There are special Laminate paints. I think you can touch this up and put some kind of topcoat on it.