Pruning a Blue Spruce Tree

Category Trees
Keep your blue spruce tree looking beautiful in every season with proper pruning. This is a guide about pruning a blue spruce tree.

My kids just broke off the top two feet of my prized 13 ft Blue Spruce while taking down the Christmas lights. Is there anything that I can do to keep the trunk growing upward?

By John from NM

It will probably fill out sideways more than up, and then it will grow upwards again. It should right itself over the whole of a year.

Call a nursery that sells blue spruce trees and get a professional opinion.

Your blue spruce has been established for 13 years. This pine tree should be fine without you having to do anything. Our top of a pine was ripped off by high winds and within 2 years the top grew back. The tree may look a bit odd but they're hardy and it will be fine. Cindy

I have a tall blue spruce tree, 30+ft tall. I would guess it is 25 years old. The older part or lower half has no inside needles, only on the tips giving it a sparse look. If I prune it would it fill in? Is this from age or is it unhealthy?

It gets full sun and continues to grow, even though I wish it would stop. You refer to removing the central leader, but am not sure what that is and if I can do it myself or need professional help.

1. You'll need to mix 7 cups of denatured alcohol, with 3 cups of water in a bucket.
  2. Dip the blade of your pole saw in the liquid.
  3. wipe it clean.
  4. You can only trim the tree during the growing season in the spring.
  5. These trees can grow over 100 feet tall.
  6. You need to check the tree for dead limbs and cut them off.
  7. Cut them flush with the tree's trunk
  8. Check for any new growth on the dead branches. If you see new growth cut the branch 1 inch in front of the new growth.
  9. During the growing season this will flourish and grow.
  10. Cut any branches that rub together flush with the trees turnk.

If you have a hacksaw and are not afraid of heights you can prune in the spring when there is new growth. You want to avoid the central branch.

I have a young blue spruce that has been damaged leaving a big bare spot on one side. Should I prune to try to reshape the tree? There are several branches which are much longer than the rest and stick way out. Also, the top has died twice. Is there anything I can do to prevent that?

By Linda from MA

Here's a link on pruning. A few thoughts, when it was planted were the roots given plenty of room to grow, was the soil free from too much clay?
http://www.gard … pruce-trees.html