HealthDogs

Puppy Recovering from Parvo Not Eating

I have a 5 month old Pit Bull puppy. He's been sick for a week now. He had very bloody loose stools and vomiting so we rushed him to the vet. It seemed like he was bleeding out on the table and having seizers as they gave him treatment. He stayed there for 4 nights and the vet says he's not puking and is eating cat food. He no longer has bloody stool, but it's still loose and he isn't interested in eating since we brought him home tonight.

He's so skinny it's scary. Should I be worried? When should I call my vet? Tips for getting a recovering puppy to eat?

If he is drinking and not having bloody stools, he is on the way to recovery. Some dogs take longer than others. Continue to touch base with the vet.

Following the vet's advice to the letter is one of the keys to recovery and if you notice any change, get the pup back to the vet ASAP!!! I know many a pup who survived this terrible disease so there is always hope and it sounds like you are on the right track.

I will say lots and lots of healing prayers for your pup as I also believe in surrounding them with love and prayers and healing wishes!! Post back to give me an update!!!

Thats the main thing. Thr vet didnt give me much advice in aftercare. He just called me and had me pick him up. Is there any food I coukd maybe give him to help him to start gaining weight? Hes eating a mix of cat food and dog food now.

When both our kids had health issues, the vet recommended canned white meat chicken mixed with a little rice (we put a spoonful in front of them (not in the bowl) and both would slowly lick it off. Some dogs like it cold, some room temp. Just be very careful if you nuke it to let it cool to a non mouth burning temp before serving.

Perhaps someone at the vet's office will be kinder than he is and offer better food solutions. Our vet also sells a special food that one pup loved, the other hated. So maybe that would be an option. Good luck and prayers continue!!!

Anonymous

We continued to give him cooked egg whites now hes back to a high protein dog food and is slowly packing the weight back on!

Parvo is a devastating illness for puppies. It sounds like your puppy may be past the worst of it. He will be sick and recovering for a week or two. Make sure he is drinking water and eating something (cat food is fine) Lots of attention helps a lot too.

Should he begin vomiting on a regular basis, or if the diarrhea starts up again go see a new Vet. Some puppies take up to a month to get back to normal.