CatsPets

Raising My New Cat's Dishes

I recently got a new kitten. I guess someone abandoned him in front of a Dollar Tree about 2 months ago. The people inside were feeding and watering the poor little guy. When I was done shopping one day, I walked out and he was just there. They say you don't choose a cat, a cat chooses you. Well that was day one for Connor and I.

So, when I had the money to get a little fancier food dish and water dispenser, I noticed that he pawed at the water before he drank it. Research says that if the water seems "old" to him, or if he is at an angle where he can't reach it and swallow easy, they tend to not drink as much. Well, it's summer and I couldn't have that.

So, getting out my trusty cans, and an old wire basket, I went to town. I had a plastic place mat for spills, and set the cans up to support the tray. It's upside down, and the food and water simply sits on top. This has saved me cleaning up water, since he can't move it now. And, because he can just walk up and drink and eat, he is drinking more.

I hope this helps those dealing with this. Any way to raise up their food and water is good, especially for larger critters.
N-JOY!!

Total Time: 10 minutes

Yield: 1

1. I found the mat last. I just made sure the cans and the tray worked well together. Keeping them full of the food was good as the weight helped to keep them in place.
  2. Once I got the tray in place, I set the water and food on top. I wanted something easy to disassemble should he not like it. So far, a week into it, he is happy. He gets to paw at the floor if he needs to without the water going everywhere!
  3. This is a good solution till I can afford a fountain. They are coming down in price so it's going to be his Christmas present! N-JOY!
  4. Advertisement

Good idea.
That's what is called 'being at the right place at the right time' and lucky timing for you and Connor.
Kitties know when they've been saved and usually show their gratitude with love and affection.
Love to both of you.
Betty

Thanks for the wonderful words. I do know that he has been a bright spot in my life, for sure. PBP

Sandi + Connor = meant to be! Love that you found each other :)

I love it too. It was like I walked out of the store and he was sitting there, looking at me like "where have you been"?

So, we are now a team.

Perfect picture!
I can hear him purring out his love..

Oh thank you! He is the best thing that has happened to me this year.

My sister had a cat fountain and it shorted out. Sounded scary. Id stick to a non electric waterer.

So glad you were there at the right moment.
Marg from England

Thanks from across the pond! I am too. He's my heart!

Pets CatsAugust 25, 2019
🎃
🎂
🌻