Raising Cat Dishes

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 969 Posts

Raising My New Cat's Dishes - waterproof mat under the feeding stationI recently got a new kitten. I guess someone abandoned him in front of a Dollar Tree about 2 months ago. The people inside were feeding and watering the poor little guy. When I was done shopping one day, I walked out and he was just there. They say you don't choose a cat, a cat chooses you. Well that was day one for Connor and I.

So, when I had the money to get a little fancier food dish and water dispenser, I noticed that he pawed at the water before he drank it. Research says that if the water seems "old" to him, or if he is at an angle where he can't reach it and swallow easy, they tend to not drink as much. Well, it's summer and I couldn't have that.

So, getting out my trusty cans, and an old wire basket, I went to town. I had a plastic place mat for spills, and set the cans up to support the tray. It's upside down, and the food and water simply sits on top. This has saved me cleaning up water, since he can't move it now. And, because he can just walk up and drink and eat, he is drinking more.

I hope this helps those dealing with this. Any way to raise up their food and water is good, especially for larger critters.
N-JOY!!

Total Time: 10 minutes

Yield: 1

• waterproof place mat
  • 4 cans of food
  • 1 tray with an edge
Raising My New Cat's Dishes -supplies

1. I found the mat last. I just made sure the cans and the tray worked well together. Keeping them full of the food was good as the weight helped to keep them in place.
  2. Raising My New Cat's Dishes - dishes on wire basket sitting on 4 cans

3. Once I got the tray in place, I set the water and food on top. I wanted something easy to disassemble should he not like it. So far, a week into it, he is happy. He gets to paw at the floor if he needs to without the water going everywhere!
  4. Raising My New Cat's Dishes - cat eating

5. This is a good solution till I can afford a fountain. They are coming down in price so it's going to be his Christmas present! N-JOY!

Pets Cats AdviceFebruary 19, 2020
🎆
👔
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Raising-Cat-Dishes.html