Rats Are Eating the Wires in My Truck

Help me please. I live on 5 acres. We just moved here about 8 months ago and I have never seen so many rats. They are big rats. I parked my truck and went out about a week later to start it and it wouldn't start. I lifted the hood and a big rat was looking at me. After looking at the truck better I realized, they have been getting into my goat feed and storing it in the truck.

I have been using rat poison that you use at chicken barns, but everyday I check it they have eaten all of it. I will go out every day and check the poison and it's gone what do I do what kind of poison can I use to kill them?

By Lawanna

Best Answer

I would use the kind of poison that gets rid of the vitamin K in their system. I am not sure what it is called. If you have a friend with a ferret, get some of their ferret's droppings and put around so the rats can smell it. I know what kind of rats you mean, I have seen them as well.

Best Answer

Get professional help fast because exterminators have poisons that the average person can't get because of the law. They know the best places to put the poison.

You have such a bad infestation you can't do it by yourself. Where are you keeping the container of goat feed? Perhaps you need to put it somewhere else. Get a rat proof (metal) container with a good locking system. Good Luck.

Guinea fowl are supposed to be really good for killing and deterring rats and mice. They also keep tick and other insect numbers down. They make a ruckus when anything unusual happens, so they are really good guard animals.

I think if you are having such a problem with rats, that you need to call in an exterminator and also you need to figure out how to clean up your place so there is no rat habitat for them to live in. The reason you are not able to keep them under control is because you have so many, have wonderful habitat, and rats are smart and reproduce at an amazing rate.

You need help with this. Hire a professional. You may find that your county or rural municipality has some one who will aid you in rat control. Our RM does.