Keeping Rodents Out of Your Yard

What can be used to get rid of rodents (mice, rats, coons, etc.) entering your yard?

By Roxann M

If you don't want critters in your yard then you have to remove whatever they are feeding on. Make sure all feed that goes to animals is securely closed and that there is none laying around. Secondly, make sure your trash can is securely closed. If they can't find food they will move on.

Abucket of old motor oil half full work sgood

A couple of cats will keep out mice and rats, but you must clean up, as the previous poster has mentioned. However, I don't think cats scare raccoons, so you are on your own there.

However, don't think that you just get cats and they will feed themselves. You feed them. They hunt because they love it. Some are better than others.

Ditto the earlier posts. Rodents like to eat, so clean up your yard - no fruit or vegies left on trees/vines for them to eat. Raccoons are utterly omnivorous -they will eat anything, they have NO fear, and they are SMART! Keep any and all food-ish things put away, indoors, where they cannot get in. Cat/dog doors are invitations to coons... good luck!

Rats are taking my tomatoes off my plants. I've set snap traps in a way that ensures the rat has to go through the trap to get the tomato but it just snaps the trap shut takes the tomato and leaves. Should I buy poison, cut on a tomato place poison inside and hope that it to takes the bait?

My tomatoes have been through a lot this summer. New Zealand has had quite a windy one. They are just beginning to rejuvenate and I'd like to enjoy the fruits of my labour rather than having rats help themselves

I am having that trouble with my tomatoes too. I have gone through a couple of boxes of talon and ratsack, I have laid out a bait consisting of plaster of paris, oatmeal and chocolate biscuits crunched up together... so far I still have a rat disaster and I hope I can solve the problem without having to pull up the tomatoes.

I constantly have scratching sounds coming from outside my house I have tried everything but nothing isn't working I like on 10acres up in the hills Perth east I've never had them before how do I remove them away from my house

Try putting out moth balls, they smell really bad, however in an open space its not too bad. Rodents and snakes do not like the smell of them. We put them under the house and under the hood of my car.(no rodents coming back so far.) The stores also have a lavender scented one, it does not smell as bad as the original ones.

Good luck

Natural method .. soak cotton balls in mint oil. And place around.