Re-dyeing Hair

I dyed my hair black about 4 months ago and the dye is slowly fading to dark/light brown. I recently, 2 days ago, tried dyeing it red without using bleach or anything and the results didn't show at all. How long do I have to wait to bleach it so I can dye it red?

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

Hello. I'm a stylist. The reason it didn't do anything is because hair color will not lighten previous hair color.
you should have stripped the black off first, and then applied the red. You can go ahead and strip off all that color build up in the same week if you're up for it.
LUCKILY, you want red. So you will not need to lighten your hair too light, just get your hair to orange. make sure to shampoo out the lightener, dry your hair, and apply your red shade. Use red depositing shampoos and conditioners to keep your color vibrant. and use a deep treatment daily for the first week after you strip and color,

There is a product you can buy at the drug store, it is called color oops. This will take all the dye out of your hair without harming your hair. It works by shrinking the dye molecules in the dye itself instead of stripping your hair to remove the unwanted color. You will want to buy the color oops and the color you want to dye your hair at the same time. You can recolor your hair directly after using the color oops without it harming your hair, and it is super easy to use. You just apply it and let it sit for about 25 min then you rinse it out. I have used it several times. You can find it at Walgreens, Walmart, CVS. Hope this helps!