Receiving Social Security Disability Benefits?

My deceased wife drew disability and so did our adopted daughter. Is my daughter still eligible for benefits?

By t.d. from Albertville, AL


Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Gold Feedback Medal for All Time! 949 Feedbacks
November 12, 20140 found this helpful

Please go to your local Social Security for correct answers. Personal information is not available over the telephone. Benefits may still be available for your daughter but you may have to establish a new guardian as the payments do not usually go to a minor.

You can make an appointment with SS over the telephone or you can just visit the office. Either way, you will have to wait, but will be a little quicker with an appointment.

Be sure to take SS numbers for your daughter and whoever is now the guardian. There may new papers to submit but the SS office will give you the information you need.


It is important that you inform SS of the death and keep the benefits for your daughter (legally). SS will have information but it may not be processed for a while and there could be a problem if this is not taken care of.

Bottom line: gather all pertinent information and go to your SS office as soon as possible.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

In This Page
Business and Legal LegalNovember 10, 2014
Halloween Ideas!
Thanksgiving Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2022-10-17 15:54:35 in 743 msecs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.