Receiving Social Security Survivor Benefits?

I've been receiving Social Security survivor benefits for my daughter. She turned 18 this month and her school sent in the forms. She's a full time student in the 9th grade. They sent in papers that I signed saying that all the benefits are used for her. Will they just keep sending the payments as usual or will they send a check in her name?

By Darlene

How come is she 18 and only in the 9th grade? Talk to you local SS Office to find out the answer.

It is for sure that only the Social Security office can answer your question.

I would ask the same question - why is your 18 year old daughter still in the 9th grade?
Why did you have to send in papers stating the funds were being used for her care?
Did you receive these papers from the SS office?
Most likely - you received a letter giving a cut off date for your daughter? Did you appeal?

The SS office can tell you if your daughter is still eligible for benefits, what date the benefits will stop, who will receive the check (usually the guardian (you) unless the child is self supporting). Gather all information/letters you have received and visit your SS office for the answers you need.

My son and his grandfather recently went through something similar. They were receiving a check but it was sent by direct deposit. He just turned 18 and is in the 10th grade they mailed the paperwork back from the school and received a letter back stating how much longer they would be paying benefits and the check now goes to the house in my sons name.

I'm sure he could have it set up to be direct deposited like before but I think as a default they generally start by mailing a paper check. Hope this helps

Business and Legal Legal General AdviceMarch 3, 2015
📓
😎
🌻
😷
🐛
Generated 2020-07-16 00:30:12 in 820 msecs. ⛅️️
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Receiving-Social-Security-Survivor-Benefits-15.html