Receiving Social Security Survivor Benefits?

I was receiving Social Security benefits as a survivor after my father passed away. I recently turned 18 in March. I did not receive anything from work. Should I have received something for the month of March and do I get a lump sum?

Only the SSA can answer your questions. You can make an appointment at their local office to answer all questions.

Only the SSA can answer your questions. You can make an appointment at the local office to address your questions.

Social security pays lump sums for disabled people. My dad applied for disability and was turned down, as most people are. He had to appeal which took about 5 years of going to court. They eventually awarded it to him, but they pay from the time that someone applies.

So 5 years of whatever the monthly amount would have been. As far as receiving something for March I can't answer that. I'd call your local social security office and ask.

You need to contact the SSA for your answers but most likely their records are correct.
It is unclear as to why you feel you should receive a lump sum but the SS office will answer all of your questions.
Follow the previous advice and get correct answers.

If I'm receiving SS benfits as a survivor from my deceased dad and get a job at the age of 16 do my benfits get taken away?

Carolina - you would receive more answers if you start your own question instead of asking on someone's question.

I believe the only answer to your question is to ask at your local SS office.
It may be that you have to remain in school to receive benefits but you may be able to work part time.
Are you saying the benefits go to you or to your guardian/parent? Generally benefits are paid to the person responsible for your care (housing, food, clothing, etc.) and are paid as long as the child is in school (not college) but I do not believe they will pay past 19 years of age even if the individual is still in school.

Anonymous

You can also receive survivors benefits past the age of 19 if you were already receiving adult disabled child benefits. I was getting $1049. After my Father passed away I started getting. $1574.

Business and Legal Legal General AdviceMarch 31, 2016
😷
🎄
🍂
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Receiving-Social-Security-Survivor-Benefits-24.html