Receiving Social Security Survivor Benefits?

My father died and my mom gets my Social Security check from him in her name. When I turn 16 will it come in my name or do I have to wait until I'm 18? And do I still get it if I go to college?

Best Answer

You will get survivor benefits until you are 18. If you are still in high school, you can receive them until you are 19. Your mother, as your guardian, will get the checks in her name to spend on your needs.

Best Answer

You need to realize that survivor benefits from social security are like child support. Your mom receives this money to help raise you, pay for your clothes, food, and what you need for school. This money is paid to her to take care of you. You won't receive this money from your dad at all. The checks will remain in her name until you graduate from high school, if you are 18 or 19 when this happens. Then the checks stop coming.

Survivor's benefits will end at 18, or 19 if you are still in high school. The benefits are not paid for college or any further studies.

Business and Legal LegalJanuary 22, 2018
🐛
😎
📓
😷
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Receiving-Social-Security-Survivor-Benefits-37.html