Very nice to eat with pork or chicken.
- 1/2 cup uncooked couscous
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 medium cucumber, seeded, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped radishes
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh mint or 1 tsp. dried mint leaves
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 tsp. oil
- 1/4 tsp. salt
Cook couscous in water as directed on package, omitting margarine and salt. Toss with fork; place on cookie sheet in thin layer to cool quickly and prevent lumps.
Meanwhile, in medium bowl, combine tomatoes, cucumber, radishes, onions, parsley and mint; toss gently to mix.
Add cooked couscous to vegetable mixture; toss gently. Drizzle with lime juice and oil; sprinkle with salt. Toss gently.
Source: Healthy eating (Pillsbury)
By Raymonde C. Gauthier from North bay, Ontario, Canada
July 25, 20071 found this helpful
- 1 chicken breast (boneless, skinless)
- sesame oil (or use peanut or canola oil)
- 1 cucumber
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 red onion
- 1/2 package grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 package clover or alfalfa sprouts
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp. cardamom
- 1/4 tsp. ginger
- 1/4 cup dressing (balsamic vinegar)
- 1/8 cup sliced or chopped almonds
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 Tbsp. butter
Couscous is a type of small pasta. I got a multicolored kind at Trader Joe's. You can buy some of these ingredients, like the couscous, in the bulk foods section of larger grocery stores. The spices are extremely cheap if you just get a small amount. If you can, use the sesame oil, as it adds a nice flavor. A little goes a long way.
- Cut chicken breast into small pieces and saute in sesame oil until cooked. Add almonds near the end so they get a little browning, too. Set aside.
- Put 1 cup water in a sauce pan with 1 Tbsp. butter or oil. When the water boils add 1 cup couscous. Remove from heat, cover and let sit for 5 minutes. Remove lid and fluff with a fork.
- Mix with the cooked couscous with the herbs and veggies. It's best if you let it sit for a few hours before serving so the flavors can blend together and is even better the next day. Serves 4 as a main dish salad.
Note: Feel free to add other veggies that you'd like. I made this up one night. It has a middle eastern taste and we really enjoyed it.
By Susan from ThriftyFun