My puppy has parvo we have been treating him with IV and antibiotics just like vet told us. This started on a Thursday and now it's Monday and he showing little sign of improvement. He is drinking water on his own now. Do you think he might be getting over it? How long does parvo last?
By rosie from Fresno, CA
Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
I think it will take a week to 10 days for your dog to get its strength back. Introduce food slowly as the stomach may have shrunk a bit and will be quite tender. Also be careful about the amount of running around you allow for a few days as although the dog might be feeling better it could tire easily. Just keep doing what you are doing the main thing is that you have got through the crisis. That is not easy, I remember not having any sleep for about 3 days! well done
we just recently had 2 puppies that got this ,they both have survived so far,both are eating chicken with rice and chicken broth and drinking water, we gave them straight chicken broth with a children's syringe for 3 or 4days before they started eating again ,unsalted or low sodium is the best to use,our vet suggested doing this every hr or so,it worked amazingly. so my advice would be to be patient, clean everything with bleach and water, keep giving all meds,and give them chicken broth as after as possible
Is this puppy from stray network
Is it normal to have diarrhea and bloody poop after recovering from parvo
We have the same situation , my turning 6 months old Japanese Spitz diagnosed having a canine parvo virus , the vet advised me to take some IV fluids for my pups but I refuse because I don't have enough Money for the bills and then she gave me another option which is the oral medication for my little princess , I was so sickly worried because my pups always vomit while having a bloody diarrhea , so bloody and smelly that I want to throw up , but I didn't give up , I was lack on sleep and I deprived on having sleep for 3 days just to monitor my princess , and then on her 2nd day of medication I saw some improvements which is she now drinks water all by herself , though she sometimes vomit with bloody diarrhea but at least it's not that bad like before and looking forward for her recovery going
My dog Hendrix just got tested positive for Parvovirus yesterday morning. We are doing the at home treatment, and they gave us antibiotics shots (four doses, once a day) Also, a bunch of oral antivomiting medicine and also an IV you stick into their skin and it pumps the water in the skin.
My question is, he has had two days of treatment so far, (he was sick about 3 days before we took him to vet) and he is pooping randomly, bloody and nothing but runny.
Is that normal? He has shown signs of improvement so far. More alert and today has tried to kind of stand up twice. Is this normal recovery? What is something to worry about if I see? Thank you in advance. - pet owner Chisa
Hello chisa, sorry to hear that and i hope Hendrix is feeling better. I'm taking my pup to the vet in the morning as she is showing signs of parvo, I've never been there this so i don't know what to expect as of emotionally/physically and expenses. If i decide it's best to treat her at home around how much am I looking at money wise. I'm scared to lose her as she is part of our family now it sadens me.
How is your puppy doing from parvo. Ours got diagnosed with Parvo on the 4/26/2017. He had show symptoms 2 days before (didn't know what it was). Vet gave us some nausea medicine, some antibiotics, and IV fluids. Is been 3 days of treatment, he looks alert sometimes, them some times he looks out of it. I also bought Paxxin, so I'm giving it to him a doze hourly. I would love to know how your pup is doing thanks. Hope everything goes well with your puppy.
We are doing the at home treatment and it cost us $457 for all the meds, them to put the IV in and the splint and cone collar. He's coming alone just fine. He was taken in yesterday morning and by last night he was night and day different.
my 1year old dog was diagnosed with parvo yesterday the vet gave me a 6 day supply of antibiotic and nausa med . she still drinks water on her own plus I give 3 syringes of water and pedialite. how do you know signs of recovering she still gets around a littlebit.
We had 2 pups die from parvo.. Every dog we have has it.. We are doing everything we can for them giving them Pedialyte, antibiotics, and chicken babyfood.. I need help from someone I don't know what to do.
Your dogs are getting parvo because they're in an area that has had parvo. Unless you PROPERLY and THOROUGHLY clean EVERY SINGLE INCH of your property, your dogs will continue to get parvo as it lives in the environment for 2 years+
Going through the same. How did things work out ? I'm doing ringers and antibiotics and proto but my lord, this is taking solo long. I just want them better. Did you find any useful info?
Well, same situation with me first time, I was very emotional tbh. We are looking at possibly $75-200 I think.
My pups born February 19th diagnosed April 23.
I foster these pups and so far 2 have died out of 5 from this litter I am also fostering Chihuahua mix pups born January 25 so far as I started the meds the 25th with pedialyte as their water and cooking high protein food eggs, Turkey, Lamb so far non from the Chihuahua group have passed and two pits are still eating and drinking, but like I said all are being treated before symptoms.
I'm using a ringer and anti-vomiting (metoclopramide) anti biotic (spectinomycin). so far 2 pit pups have died since diagnosed. One Saturday and one today Thursday and one fighting hard.
This desease mutates so depend on the strand and breed this weighs heavy on the out come.
Hey everyone my new puppy Bosco has parvo and we paid 6,000 for the treatment in the hospital he is supposed to be there for a week and they are agressivly treating him. We brought him in just before the 2 day mark of showing symptoms. We have been getting reports from the doctor and she said that he has no white blood cells left. But he is stable, they have him on an IV and feeding tube. I love him dearly and it would break my heart to lose him. Will he survive??
I'm sorry I didnt catch the name that said their dogs keep getting parvo, anyway they will keep getting parvo until you clean everything the puppies have ever touched/used with bleach. This is the only cleaner that will work so make sure it is bleach and clean ASAP. Parvovirus can live in a object or living thing for up to a year and still infect species. Hope your dogs feel better!!
If your puppy is drinking on its own then it is a good sign make sure it also gets nutrients such as broth no solids until it is ready to eat on its own
It can take several weeks to recover. He is drinking, and that is a good sign.
My puppy has had all of her shots and on time. But you still got parvo. She is in the hospital since Tuesday noon. They are giving her Ivy's antibiotics and I'm not sure but bunch of meds to help her get through this. She has never thrown up. She did have the dry heaves here at the house here at home. She had diarrhea up there Tuesday. She had diarrhea Tuesday night at the hospital. But not since then. This is Friday she's been there since Tuesday noon. And she still will not eat food. How long does it take a puppy with parvo to be able to eat regular puppy food. She is a full-blooded miniature dachshund. She turned 4 months old yesterday Thursday the 2 7 th of September 2017. Was she ever had parvo yet. They're going to give her another shot one week after she leaves the hospital and gets well.
Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!