Recovery Time for a Puppy with Parvo

My puppy was vaccinated at 10 months. On Friday we took our puppy to the vet because she started with diarrhea, but no blood. When tested we found it was parvo. We decided to keep her at the vet to try to save her life. As the days have passed it seems like she is getting worse, her white blood count decreased and she started vomiting with bloody diarrhea. Should this worry me even if she has been in the hospital for a few days and they tell me it's normal for them to get worse before they get better?

Best Answer

Believe what they say, they have no reason to lie to you. It is a bad disease and takes a dog time to heal from this, about 6 weeks. Most dogs die from parvo in the first 72 hours. So you have given your dog the best chance because you took him to a vet and started treatment ASAP.

I just brought home 2 puppies last week. The next day both were sick with diarrhea and vomiting. We took them to the vet and were doing the iv and antibiotics and nothing seemed to help. We lost the smaller one on the third day. I did not want to watch the other one die so we looked up everything we could find on the internet and found something called PAXXIN. Everything Ive read says this has over a 95% chance of recovery. So be found some and started giving it to our puppy as directed. At this point she was so weak and frail.. I gave it to her every hour for 9hours and that night she could barely hold her head up anymore.

I thought we were going to lose her the next morning when I left to work I gave her another dosage and her iv but when I came home from work that afternoon to check her she was up and looked alive again and she was HUNGRY!! I gave her food and another round of the PAXXIN. Now we are on day 8 and she is a happy loving puppy again. She is still recovering and gets tired but I dont think she had a chance without the PAXXIN. I am so glad we found PAXXIN and hope this will help anyone else who needs it

My puppy has Parvo, he is 1 year old rottweiler, he lost 14kg, vomitting, diorrea with lots of blood...He keeps vomitting so we cant give him the medicine until he eats and doesnt vomit....we gave him the medicine the vet gave us to stop him from vomitting but he still vomits...so i gave him marijuana tea and now he is calm and allows us to force feed him with a syringe, he stopped vomitting and we were able to feed him with a syringe a soup of 1 tin sardine, 1 egg, 1 banana, 1 apple...then we were able to give him the medication he needs. I beleive the marijuana tea helped calm his anxiety and relax his stomach muscles, he stopped vomitting after the tea anyway...Im so glad countries are starting to study the medicinal value of this amazing plant, maybe it saved my dog..

Anonymous

Hi can I just say your post has helped me out a lot and has given me confidence as my 4 month old Catahoula x Great Dane yes she is super gorgeous and she is large even after loosing weight 13.6 kilo so Im hoping that that puts her in front the weight she is my companion dog as I have a medical condition so she has for the past 3 months I got her when she would fit in the palm of my hand now only her paw does on Friday after a day of chronic vomiting and some direrhea with blood in it so off to the vets to find out she has parvo she has been up and down like a yo-yo we had no vomiting or blowoutssince Saturday morning until just now but I couldnt work out but having it now longer than 72 hrs so things should be on the up road now

No. Rediculous. The dog does not get worse before it gets better.

With an 80% morality rate in first 48-72 hrs. Do you really think there is time to get worse. Let alone worse then better?

Best Answer

First I want to say I'm sorry to hear your puppy is sick. First of all you did the best thing for your puppy by getting him vaccinated. I'm not going to tell you not to worry as their our babies and no matter how sick they are we are going to worry. Few years ago I did work in a vet office and had worked with some pretty sick dogs that had Parvo. And with the good vet at their side and treatments they pulled through it. The best medicine for your puppy is letting him know how much you love him and lots of prayers. I will be thinking of your puppy and prayers also. Please feel free to e-mail and let me know how your little one came through. I hope I helped you.

Anonymous

Thank you for the support and wise words they make me have hope.

My puppy has parvo, hes been hospitalized since yesterday and yesterday he wasnt to bad when i first got him in then he was doing really good when i visited later. Then today he got really bad, he was shaking and drooling everywhere and just super tired. Any advice? Should he try plasma transfusions?

My puppy was put in hospital with parvo I had just gotten him from a so called friend paid 25 dollars n I went straight away to get his shots I didn't know he had parvo n view days later he started getting sick at his stomach so right away I took him to the vet I already knew the signs of parvo so they put him in the hospital and when I went to pick him up he's really skinny but he's eating n drinking water but sometimes he forgets he has food in his mouth n right know I have him right beside me n that's where he at always n I wouldn't have it any other way but is there any other things I need to worry about when he eats know he drools and lefts his head up to eat so I wipe his lil mouth after he's done eating and our cat covers him up

My 3 month pup is going on 4 days with parvo; he is now drinking water on his own, but still has bloody diarrhea. Will he survive?

Vet has him on under the skin fluids every 12 hours, antibiotic, anti-vomit meds, and others.
We are feeding him chicken broth, and petalite with a syringe.

My puppy is a year old, syberian husky pit mix, hes my baby. I cant afford a vet and hes on his 48th hour of parvo. Ive been freaking out, please pray.

Anonymous

I have been treating my puppy for bout 4 days nd still fear that he might not make it. He looks weak nd very thin I have been giving him some antibiotics nd Pedialyte. Hedrinks water but keeps throwing it up. I just want to know if this is normal nd if I am doing the rite thing to get him to pull through this horrible diaseas.

Anonymous

Please pray for me and my little puppies. One died yesterday and I can't take the other 2 to the vet so please pray for us. My name is Terri Lynn.

I have a 15 year old female Bichon Frise I just give her her parvo shot about a week ago and she stopped eating a few days after what do I need to do to feed her I give her Pedialyte water and she even stopped drinking that today 9th day what do I need to do do I need to a veterinarian tomorrow please answer me back

Can i have ur mail id so that i can mail u

You can send that member a message by clicking on their name. You will be directed to their profile page, where you can send a message through our system.

My dog was diagnosed with parvo she started the simptoms yesterday like @ 9:00am I took her to the bet today but she looks worse right now she's she don't have diharria or body stool

Please pray for my Bella that's my dogs name she has parvo but I think is not helping her cuzz I see her worse do they get worse with the medicine

Some puppies don't make it, even with the best of care. I sincerely hope that is not what happens to your dog. You have made a wise decision to leave her at the vet.

I feel your pain and I understand the worry you are going through right now. I have had 2 dogs that survived the Parvo virus. Each one was different. My first dog was treated at home and within 3 days he had stopped vomiting and having diarrhea.

However, my second dog had to spend 7 days at the vet's on an IV. He started to have bloody diarrhea when I arrived at the vet's. They immediately put him on an IV and gave him several shots. It took him close to 5 days before he showed any signs of improvement. On the 6th day he had stopped vomiting and having diarrhea. By the 7th day he seemed like his old self and I was able to bring him home.

The virus can get worse before it gets better. As long as he is at the vet's they monitor him and give him the necessary liquids and medicine, he'll need to get rid of the virus. One thing I found out with my second dog was when I visited him, he seemed to perk up and try and get better. I think it's a good idea if the vet allows you to see your dog this can help his recovery process.

You say your puppy was vaccinated at 10 months but not how old your puppy is now so it looks like you did not have her vaccinated before she was exposed to parvo. It sound like you may have known she was exposed to a dog with Parvo?

• It is good that you may have been concerned (about the diarrhea) and took her to the vet immediately because with parvo it seems that every hour counts.
  • The vet bill will be very high but leaving her there may be the only way to save her life.
  • Dehydration is what causes so many problems so being on an IV will eliminate that problem (at home you would have to try and get her to take even a teaspoon of water (with an eyedropper) about every 15 to 20 minutes and that is a very hard job because they will not drink on their own.
  • I believe you rescued her in time so whatever made you concerned about the diarrhea probably saved her life.

Most ThriftyFun members sincerely care about pets so you can be sure that we are hoping you will have a healthy puppy back home soon.
Be sure to follow all of the vet's home care instructions.

Hello, I just wanted to let everyone know I am very thankful for your responses and great vibes. These have been two of the most difficult weeks of our lives, we not only had one of our dogs get sick but both of them, but after a hard couple of days and the vet treatments I am happy to say both my dogs are recovering well. The vet told us that because we vaccinated them once it was enough to safe their lives. So for those people out there parvo is a very serious condition so please get your dogs vaccinated, vet treatment is expensive, but it does give dogs a fighting chance.