OtherRecycled Crafts

Recycled Cardboard Shelf

Vote for this contest contender!

Have extra shoe boxes? Another simple and free project you can make is a recycled cardboard shelf. It is ideal for lightweight items; perfect to toss your wallet and keys, or mail on.

My fiancé always misplaces his keys and wallet so I thought this would be a perfect spot for him to toss his stuff. The card is one I made for my dad that we will be giving to him tomorrow (so it's like a reminder shelf!)

Total Time: 1 hour

1. Using your X-acto knife, carefully cut off the lid of your shoe box.
  2. Use an X-acto knife or scissors to cut out a flap on the top of your shoe box.
  3. On both sides of the box, use a ruler and draw a diagonal line from one edge to the other. Then cut out with scissors.
  4. Depending on the shoe box you use, the side flaps may become loose and that is fine because we will hot glue the sides later. In the meantime you can use clothespins to hold in place.
  5. At this point, you can paint your cardboard shelf, or decorate with paper. I decided to decorate my shelf with paper, however a 12" x 12" scrapbook paper does not fit exactly. At the edges, I used photo paper, cut to size and glued down.
  6. For the edges, I used decorative tape.
  7. Then using your paper of choice, crease the center and cut accordingly to fit your box, then glue down.
  8. Cut triangles to fit for the sides, I used photo paper.
  9. Ready to hang. I used 2 thumbtacks and it was enough to hold.