Recycled "Wood" Vase
This faux wood vase begins with a Styrofoam stuffed recycled Yoo-hoo drink box. Learn how to create the wood grain and finish your vase.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
A floral arrangement box with a wooden appearance.
Approximate Time: 1-2 hours (with drying time)
- yoo-hoo box (or similar)
- Styrofoam or floral foam
- cheese cloth
- brown acrylic paint
- black acrylic paint
- white, tan, or cream acrylic paint
- sponge/paint brushes
- spray glue adhesive
- Choose your box and cut off lid all the way around.
- Cut Styrofoam to fit down inside box.
- Apply a light coat of spray glue adhesive to box.
- Wrap the box with cheese cloth (you do not have to wait for this to dry before applying paint).
- Start applying your brown paint over the cheese cloth.
- Allow brown paint to sit for about 5 minutes.
- Begin making your black lines to simulate real bark, then use the lighter colored paints as well to create your bark look.
- Let sit for a few minutes and then spray with light coat of adhesive spray.
- Let dry before adding raffia bow and flowers. (Put a fan in front of project to help speed dry time.)
By Dawn from Huffman, TX
November 10, 20100 found this helpful
At my house I would also need to put some weight in the bottom, or the kids running around would blow it right over! It is cute, and I love to recycle!