Refurbishing a Dresser

Category Refinishing
Dresser in the process of being painted black
This is a guide about refurbishing a dresser. Save money on furniture with some time and paint, by giving an old chest of drawers a new look.

Everyone has an old dresser or end table in their garage, right? Well, times are hard and I'm strapped for money, so what I did is hand sanded an old dresser my mom/dad gave me one year for Christmas. It was out of style and I definitely did not want to get rid of it.

I like decorating anything "shabby chic or beachy", so after sanding it to remove shiny varnish, I hand painted it a pale pink, removed hardware/dresser knobs and put wood putty in some of the holes and replaced knobs with acrylic ones! I know have a brand new dresser to keep for years to come and it fits in with my decor. I have even done mirror frames, wrought iron tables, and believe it or not, paper towel holders. You can transform anything with paint!

By teejerball from Zebulon, NC

This is a guide about removing odors from dresser drawers. Older furniture can have a musty odor which in the case of a dresser can transfer to your clothing.

Antique cabinet with drawer open

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This dresser happens to be over 30 years old and was a hideous shade of brown. I simply painted the entire dresser white and removed all of the previous hardware. The knobs were purchased for about $3 for a bag of 12 or so. The decorative middle is a wooden square with another wooden knob glued onto the middle. This is now in my daughter's room.

By April from Albany, GA

Answers:

Refurbishing a Dresser

April - the dresser looks so cute! I have a similar one and want to do refinish it. What type of paint did you use? Did you sand and prime it first.

Thanks in advance, Mindy (05/17/2007)

By Mindy

Refurbishing a Dresser

Hi Mindy! I sanded the surface with the Black and Decker Mouse. Nothing hardcore....just surface sanding. I put one coat of Kilz primer on it, then one coat of some really cheap white paint I found at Big Lots. ($7 a gallon). Hope this helps...and good luck! Be sure to post pics!
~April (05/18/2007)

By Cali's Mom

Refurbishing a Dresser

I love that! (05/18/2007)

By Anonymous

Refurbishing a Dresser

Good job, I have a great appreciation for using a creative mind to recreate. (05/19/2007)

By Janet from Toronto

Refurbishing a Dresser

What a lovely dresser! I just saw a dresser that was at the curb for trash pick-up, I wish now that I had picked it up! (05/21/2007)

By Persnickety Paula