Remedies for Yellow Finger Nails

Category Nails
This is a guide about nails yellowing on tips. Frequent nail coloring and sometimes health issues can make your nails look yellow.

How do I get rid of yellow nails, from nail polish?

Sharon from Winnipeg

Answers

Best Answer

Try lemon juice. It will dry your nail beds to follow with a good moisturizer and rub it into the nails well.

To help prevent yellowing nails, always use a clear coat beneath your bolder colored polishes, it will help, but may not completely eliminate the problem. Removing the polish regularly and letting your nails breathe will help as well.

Good luck,
Tina

Best Answer

Not sure I agree with the comet or ajax method. Kind of harsh chemicals. Yes lemon juice works well and does dry. Soak toes or fingers in lemon juice for about 5-10 mins. and follow with an oil (olive, sesame, jojoba, etc.). Let nails breathe for a few days or longer. Using a clear base coat is wise before a color rich polish such as blacks, plums, reds, etc. There is a Sally nail polish product that address yellowing as well. Cheers!

By heer tulsi (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Cut a lemon into 2 halves. Squeeze your fingernails in the lemon and let them be there for around 15-20 mins.

Rinse and use a hand moisturizer or better some olive oil. This treatment will whiten your nails and the olive oil will help retain moisture.

Ny nails are turning yellow and getting stained how do you fix them?

Answers

Best Answer

I use lemon juice to brighten mine. If they are really stubborn yellow, I sprinkle some baking soda on them first before the lemon juice

Best Answer

I had this when I used to paint my nails often even with a base coat. I took a break from painting my nails and my nails grew back healthier. I'd avoid dark nail polish colors especially if possible.

You can lightly try buffing your nails or rub your nails with lemon.

Why are my fingernails turning yellow?

By patti from Philadelphia, PA

Answers

Try soaking your nails in lemon juice for about five minutes a day. If it doesn't clear up in a few days, it may be a fungal infection. You can find anti-fungal treatments in the nail care section of most drugstores. It's just a liquid that you brush on like nail polish. However, fungal infections can be quite stubborn and if it doesn't clear up I would see a doctor as you may need prescription medication to treat it.

Either it's an infection or a nailpolish you used.

If you wear nail polish a lot, put on a base coat first before you apply polish. Sometimes yellowing can be contributed to aging, you can give your nails a light buff with a nail buffer this may remove some of the yellow color.

Soak your fingernails in lemon juice daily or soak in lemon essential oil, or you can dissolve a denture tablet and soak nails.

Anonymous

presoaking you nails in white vinegar help strengthen and lighten nails

A client had a coloured acrylic on her natural nails - peachy/orange (French) two months ago. She came in for her regular service after two/three weeks and her nails were soaked off, but two of her nails (ring and middle fingers) have remained yellow all this time. What could be the cause of this?

Answers

It sounds like perhaps those nails were more porous and took on the color.

I had this. The nails are porous and absorbed the nail color.

I had to let them grow out. In the future she can use a good base coat to prevent this from happening.

My nails have gotten really yellow colored. Is this a sign of something, and what can I do to whiten them up again?

nhilligas from Blue Hill, NE

Answers:

Yellow Fingernails

If you wear nail polish a lot that will also cause your nails to turn yellow over time. (06/23/2006)

By prism

Yellow Fingernails

Yellow nails can also occur when you frequently wear nail polish. I wish I had a good remedy to get mine white again, too. Check with a manicurist, as they might know. (06/23/2006)

By Connie A.

Yellow Fingernails

Just ran across this hint the other day as far as whitening your fingernails. Try soaking a denture cleaner tablet in water and soaking your nails for about 10 minutes or longer. Hope this works for you. (06/23/2006)

By irene

Yellow Fingernails

If it is from your nail polish you can get a buffer and start with the roughest side and work to the polishing side and it will take it away. (06/24/2006)

By Kinmicsmom

Yellow Fingernails

I tried the buffer on my yellow nails and it worked great for clearing up the yellow. It all but went away HOWEVER, the buffer will thin your nails and if you aren't careful they will break lengthwise and they are really a pain to fix then. Go easy on the buffing. (06/24/2006)

By Connie A..

Yellow Fingernails

If it is just aesthetic, you can get a whitening pencil in any manicure aisle. (06/24/2006)

By Kelly

Yellow Fingernails

My nails improve when I soak them in straight lemon juice. (01/18/2007)

By carol

Yellow Fingernails

I have to post and give a real quick way to whiten your nails. I use the brush on teeth whitener on my nails when they get yellow. In a couple days they are as good as new! (05/30/2008)

By shdonna

Yellow Fingernails

I have yellow nails, but it's because I have liver problems. I think you should see your GP. (11/09/2008)