Removing Dye Stains on Wood Cabinet

What is the best way to get black dye stains off a bathroom wood cabinet that is a very light wood?

By marion from Parsippany, NJ

Best Answer

I was in the same exact predicament just a few hours ago. I had just dyed my hair dark brown and it got on my cabinets. It had stained really badly and it was very noticeable. All I did was take an old fingernail file and file the spot, then I wiped over it with a wet cloth and it was as good as new (:This method is very good on stains that have been very set in. Hope this helps. ^.^

You just saved my life! I got black hair dye all over my mother in laws hard wood floor in the bathroom. Was freaking out until I read this. I used a good sized foot file and it came right off. Then I used some liquid gold to moisten the dry spot where I filed!

Anonymous

Thank you

Best Answer

Hello! I feel like a just created actual magic!!! Blue dye that was somewhere on the towel that i had under my coloring area in the bathroom, got moved to the unfinished hardwood floors!!!

** Magic RECIPE: bleach spray(bathroom type), baking soda to cover stain, and then alcohol on top.
I suppose i dont know what specifically brought it up, but i ran a clean cloth over the pile and MAGIC it was gone!!
Also did this again the next day, after i swept and discovered another blue hair dye speckle.
Magic i say! I am amazed, thought i would be ripping up the unfinished hardwood floor!

You did create magic! I used the bathroom bleach spray and rubbing alcohol on top of baking soda which was on top of the red hair dye stain on a painted metal surface. It took off the dye! I had tried all three before on the stain and individually, none of them removed the stain, but all three combined...REMOVED THE DANG STAIN!

THANK YOU!!!

Thank you a million times over....your recipe worked!!!

I tried peroxide and baking sofa paste on brown hair dye that splashed on a hollow wood door . It didn't work. Then I tried to lightly sand the hair dye off . All that did was ruin the door by taking the finish off down to the flake board. But , on another splashed area , I brushed on clear varnish, waited a few seconds and lightly sanded. It worked. Now , how do I make the other area match?

what are proportion of bleach baking soda and alchol?

Wow!! Thank you so much this just saved my BRAND NEW furniture.

I had a tear in my eye when i got a few spots of dye on my drawers the bleach worked a trick. Thanks again :)

Worked great!

The nail file just saved my life! Black hairdye on my mothers good floor! It's now gone thank you!

I just tried the nail file suggestion on my parents' wood cabinet sink after slopping ammonia based Loreal dark brown dye on it hours ago and just noticing it. It worked! I couldn't believe it! THANK YOU!

Anonymous

OMG thank you my friend just dyed her daughters hair we just put the question your a diamond xxxx

I used a brillo pad with dawn dish soap on it, wet of course...it worked!!!!

I accidentally spilt some black hair dye on our cherrywood finished cabinet. Wiped it off right away but still have a big stain.

Read this forum and used Mr. Clean magic eraser since we have this at home. Came off in two seconds like magic. Good like new.

I dripped hair color on my white maple cabinet. After trying hair color remover and a stain remover, which did nothing. I tried the Mr. Clean magic eraser and it worked like a charm. No mess, no fuss. It took about 2 seconds. Thank you so much for your advice.

Anonymous

thanks,
i used Mr. Clean magic eraser.. works great!

How to get hair dye off a light wardrobe?