Removing Hair Dye from Wood

How do I remove dark hair dye off a light colored wood with out removing the paint?

By manager

If the wood wasn't sealed then I would suggest you stain it the color of the dye.

If the dye has stained the wood, you may be stuck with it. If the paint is good quality, you should be able to wash the dye off with something like Dawn dishwashing soap. If the dye has stained the paint, and by that I mean, combined chemically with it, you will not be able to get it off. However, I have no problem with staining on towels that I use when I dye my hair. The hair dye washes right out in the laundry.

After failed attempts trying to use color remover for skin and trying to use nail polish remover on my wooden steps, I was beyond surprised that Dawn dishwashing soap and a brillo pad actually got my black hair dye out. It takes some good scrubbing but it worked. Hope this helps!