AdviceHome Improvement

Removing Home Security Equipment

The prior owner had this system installed. I have not activated it and don't intend to. The problem is in my entrance closet is an ADT box containing wires. The box has come loose from the wall. The molly bolts came out and left holes in the wall. The box and contents are just dangling there. The heavy battery fell to the floor and hit me on the foot. The darned thing is in the way.

I thought about unscrewing all the wires and removing the box completely, but am afraid of getting electrocuted. Anyone know if these are electrical wires? Or just security system wiring. The system is turned off; no lights anywhere on any equipment if that helps. I called ADT and since I don't have an account with them they won't tell me anything. Meanwhile, I'll see if an electrician can tell me anything. Thanks

By weinerdog41 from Ft. Worth, TX

Security systems are low voltage and use a transformer plugged into an electrical outlet (thebattery was a backup). Find the transformer and disconnect it. Then you can just cut all the wires and stuff them into the wall, patch the hole and remove any contacts on windows or doors.