Removing Labels Off Plastic Bottles

I have tried most everything. It takes forever. Trust me I have used many, many techniques some are better then others, but it still takes a long long time. I am only talking about plastic bottles.

By Mario

Hi Mario, I think different methods work better than others, depending on the adhesive that was used on the label.

I've tried soaking in hot water, pulling off the outer layer of paper, then scraping the rest off with my thumbnails. Sometimes I have more luck if I let it dry and remove the adhesive with a piece of tape; I have tried the regular frosted tape, clear packing tape and masking tape; I put about an inch of tape on the adhesive, press it down with a fingernail, then pull it up again; this works most of the time. Sometimes, if you can lift the label itself off most of the way, you can use its own adhesive to pull up the rest; just keep pressing a section of the label on the adhesive left behind.

I have also used GooGone, which does work, but is expensive and smelly.

I collected a lot of tips from ThriftyFun members, but haven't tried them yet:

1 - Soak in a sink of hot bleach water. If stickers don't come all the way off which they should and they do leave a sticky residue use furniture polish, believe it or not. The oils from the polish remove the sticky feeling on just about everything non porous that has sticker residue.

1 - Guaranteed method to remove sticky labels is to soak a cotton ball with Eucalyptus Oil and dab over the label, allow a few minutes for it to soak in and you should be able to gently remove the label. If the label is thick then gently score it with a knife to allow the oil to penetrate. Lightly rubbing the sticky residue with the cotton ball will dissolve it. This method works on both plastic and glass surfaces.

3 - Apply a thick coat of cooking oil to the label in question. Allow it to soak in, undisturbed, for 24 hours. Try to peel the label off. If it comes readily, proceed to the next step. If it doesn't, repeat steps 1 and 2. (Many labels require two applications; some take several.) After the label has been peeled off, some sticky, partly dissolved glue will remain. To remove it, coat the area with oil a final time and allow it to sit overnight. Wipe off the oil and dissolved glue, then wash the container in hot, soapy water. No trace of label or glue will remain.

4 - To remove gum, labels, or stickers, use baby oil. Soak a cotton ball in oil and apply to the sticky area and heat with a hair dryer. When adhesive softens, it can easily be removed.

5 - Use the steam from your iron to remove any type of sticky sticker off any surface!

Fill your iron chuck full of water and turn the heat and steam on High. Let it get good and hot, then hold your iron upright or over your sticker nightmare and start pressing that steam button as fast as you can. In seconds, the entire sticker can be lifted off with absolutely NO residue left on the surface.

6 - You can make a Goo Gone alternative that works very well (and doesn't smell as gross) by mixing two parts vegetable oil with one part baking soda. The oil loosens the glue, and the baking soda acts as a gentle abrasive to wipe it away. Rinse with hot water and that's it!

Hope one of these ideas helps. As I said, results can vary depending on the adhesive they used to begin with. Good luck!

Set your hair dryer on hot and blow on the label. Just peel the label off easily. There may be a bit of sticky left that will come off with peanut butter rubbed on and wiped off.

Anonymous

Thank you worked a treat.