Removing Odors from Dishwasher

I have an odor that smells like wet dog coming from the dishwasher.

Best Answer

Somewhere I read to run orange powdered drink mix, like Tang through a cycle.

Best Answer

Eggs cause wet dog smell in my dishwasher. Prewash anything that has come in contact with either raw or cooked eggs before putting it in the dishwasher. I haven't had the smell since I figured this out.

After reading Maddogcupcake's tip about eggs, we tried this at home with a good result. However, the eggs we eat all seem ok and don't taste odd but last night my wife was glazing a cake with raw egg white and there was that smell! She tried another egg and that was ok. So not every egg has it which may account for the randomness some people get.

So the answer for us is to hand wash dishes, pans and utensils that have been in contact with eggs. A small price to pay for saving a dud load. Also, I now top up the salt and rinse-aid and clean the filters every week. I don't wait for the machine to tell me it has run out of stuff. We used to get this smell on a previous machine but generally only when it was running out of salt or rinse-aid.

Having said all this it isn't a complete cure as I have found that when a load is just finished and I need something taken out when it is still hot and no pond smell is there, leaving the door open while it cools down has sometimes produced that smell. So I don't know the complete cure but doing what we do should help. Thanks to Maddogcupcake for the tip.

Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesOctober 13, 2010
🍀
💘