Removing Oily Stains on Clothing

Removing oily stains on clothing can be a challenge especially if it has already been washed and dried. This page offers some suggestions for removing them from your clothes.

Use undiluted Murphy's Oil Soap directly on an oily clothing stain. Rub it in, and launder as you normally would. This method removed salad dressing stains from my daughter's solid colored school uniform shirts and khakis for years. Even set in stains I had not thrown out yet were gone!

How do I remove oil stains from clothes, without using chemicals, as chemical products affect my breathing? Thanks.

By rose

Answers

Best Answer

I have used clarifying hair shampoo to remove oil based stains. Rub in and let it sit for a while before laundering.

Best Answer

You can use powder or chalk on the greasy stain to absorb the grease & then brush it away. May take several times.

I have several shirts that have stains from oil based salad dressings. They have already been washed and dried at least one time. Is there any way I can get these stains out? Please help! Thank you very much.

By Jazzer from IN

Answers:

Oil Stains on Clothing

Any waterless handcleaner will work for those type stains. Remember Goop handcleaner? Just spread a little over the stain and rub in. If these are old stains you will probably need to soak all day in warm sudsy "Goop water" also and just wash in a regular cycle. I used to take out tar stains from my kids white socks after they would oil the streets in our town. It always works. Takes a little practice, but you will get the knack of how well this works on oily stains. (11/12/2009)

By kathy ashlock

Oil Stains on Clothing

As odd as it may sound, Murphy's Oil Soap. Just dab some full strength on the spot. Let it rest a moment and launder as usual. I always double check anything I know had a stain just in case before putting in the dryer so that I don't set the stain. (11/15/2009)

By Cy

Oil Stains on Clothing

Try applying dish liquid to the spot. Rub it into the fabric and let it set for awhile. Throw the item into the washing machine with other clothing. Do not dry in the dryer. If you repeat this process several times you may see improvement. But imho, the dryer has "set" your stain and the items must be replaced. I wouldn't give up without trying several methods, however. (11/16/2009)

By Carol Swanson

By Jazzer from IN

Answers:

Oil Stains on Clothing

Lay the shirt flat and cover stains with Dawn dish detergent (the original kind), let set for 20 to 30 minutes. Then throw in machine with a load of clothes and wash as normal. I do this with my hubby's clothes because a lot of stains don't show until after they are washed and dried. (08/26/2009)

By Mary

Oil Stains on Clothing

I've used GOOP hand cleaner with great success. Rub it into the stain (start around the outside of the stain and work your way to the middle) and let it sit about 20 minutes, then wash as normal.

Mind you, I use homemade laundry soap and only wash in cold water, and I've gotten great from clothing that's already been washed and dried two or three times. Good Luck! (08/26/2009)

By Sarah Leach

Oil Stains on Clothing

I buy Greased Lightning from Walmart, I think it's in the automotive aisle. My daughter works in a restaurant kitchen, and it has even worked on huge grease stains that have been through the dryer. I swear by it, and it's not expensive.
(08/26/2009)

By Sandy

How do I remove oil stains from clothes?

Elana from South Africa

Answers:

Oil Stains on Clothing

Grease: Sponge spot with a mixture of 1Tbs. salt to 4 Tbs. rubbing alcohol. Wash in hottest water safe for fabric. If spot still remains, do not dry, use dry cleaning solvent and re-wash.

Grease spots generally may be removed with hot water and soap. If the stains have become fixed by long standing, the may be removed by chloroform, ether, or naphtha. If any of these chemical are used, keep them at a safe distance from fire or artificial light.

To remove grease from silk, lay the silk on a table on top of a clean white cloth. Cover the spot thickly with powdered French chalk. On this lay a sheet of blotting paper and over that a moderately hot iron. If the grease does not disappear at once, repeat process.

Grease/Oil/Tar

(11/17/2006)

By Brenda

Oil Stains on Clothing

This has worked for me in the past: sprinkle talcum powder on the are of the oil stain, rub it in with your fingers. Iron over it using a hot iron, then rub off the talcum with a washcloth. Sometimes you have to do this 2-3 times, but usually once is enough.
Best of luck. (11/17/2006)

By BK.

Oil Stains on Clothing

I always use Spray and Wash. I've tried Shout and other brands, but Spray and Wash has never failed. Cooking bacon is the worst on my dark shirts and I spray the spots really good and toss in the washing machine and never have a spot left. (11/17/2006)

By Penny Stoehr

Oil Stains on Clothing

Soak and wash the clothes in shampoo for oily hair. I learned this tip from watching a very oily hydraulic technician do his laundry at a laundromat. It works. (11/18/2006)

By Ben Borgman

Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsSeptember 18, 2019
🎂
🌻
🎃