AppliancesCleaning

Removing Old Fabric Softener Stick On Bars from Dryer

A couple of years ago both Bounce and Gain sold fabric softener bars that you put in your dryer so you did not have to use sheets. They are stuck on there really good with double-sided tape! I want to remove them, but don't know how to without leaving a bad paint thinner smell that will get on my clothes? I don't want to damage the enamel in the dryer.

Instructions for removal:

Remove the entire unit if you no longer wish to use the Bounce Dryer Bar. Turn your dryer to a high heat setting for about five minutes to soften the adhesive, then slip a plastic spatula under the bar holder to release it from your dryer. Scrape off any excess adhesive and discard the bar holder. Once removed, the bar holder will no longer adhere to the dryer.

Sounds simple - right? There are many complaints about the problems people have had removing this bar/holder and many say it damaged their dryer. Im not sure you can remove it safely but I cannot find any other instructions other than the first paragraph statement.

Bounce bars have been discontinued and no one expects them to ever be made again. Bounce stated it was due to low sales but most people believe it was due to many, many complaints. It appears the word "bars" has been removed from the Bounce web site and some say they will not discuss the dryer bars over the phone or contact.

The only things that people are saying works is Goo-Gone or WD-40. Some have used it to remove the entire bar and others say they used it to remove the glue. It would take quite a bit of cleaning to remove the residue/smell of either product but I think you probably could by drying several loads of old sheets or towels before putting any regular clothes in your dryer.

Just in case anyone thought no one liked these bars - take a look at what they are selling for on Amazon and eBay.

https://www.ama  er/dp/B003VYRHZS

https://www.eba  ars&_sacat=0

Thank you ! I will give it a try!!!

Use Goo Gone and rinse well to remove odor

Thanks, I'm ordering Goo Goo Gone right now!

I just wanted to add - be sure to dry any regular clothes before you do this so you can leave your dryer door slightly ajar for a day if possible (the light may stay on) after removal and treatment. Something else I have done (I accidentally dried a work cloth that still had a "grease" smell) - I wet a small hand towel with white vinegar and placed it in my dryer with several old towel rags (wet) and dried on medium heat. This worked well also.

I try to never use high heat in my dryer as I have found it does more damage to my clothes than medium or low heat (personal opinion). I actually love to partially dry my clothes outside and finish drying on fluff setting (no heat). This works well on most items but will not always remove wrinkles on synthetic materials like heat will.

Goo-Gone will take a while to loosen this holder so try to place your dryer tumbler so Bounce holder is on the bottom. Wet a cloth (large enough to cover the holder) with Goo-Gone and place it over the holder. Check it to see if it has loosen up and if not, add more Goo-Gone to make sure it does not dry out. Patience will be needed here.

And - do you have any left over bars you want to sell??? It was difficult for me to believe people are paying this much money...

I never bought one of those bars, but have had to remove plenty of adhesives! My secret weapon of choice is WD-40. Manually remove as much of the bar and tape as possible, then spray some WD-40 on what remains. You may have to turn the drum until the adhesive is in a position for the WD-40 to not run off. After you saturate it, just leave it alone for a while. Like, forget about it for a day or so. Go in with something non damaging like a plastic knife, and scrape away. You can saturate again or use a saturated paper towel to remove what is left. After the adhesive is gone, do 3 things: use a dry paper towel to remove as much WD as you can. Use a little cleaner, such as window cleaner or Mr Clean, on a paper towel to wash away any remaining residue. THEN, use a paper towel with vinegar on it to remove anything that is left. Vinegar will not damage your clothes or leave a residue or smell (I use vinegar as my fabric softener most of the time). It's a process, but the steps are necessary because of where you are removing the adhesive from.