Removing Orange Glo Residue from Laminate Flooring

Category Floors
This cleaner can leave a film that can be a challenge to remove. This is a guide about removing Orange Glo residue from laminate flooring.

I too used Orange Glo on my laminate flooring. To remove it, I used Simple Green at full strength on a small area. It worked great. Spray a small section, and let stand a few minutes. Take a damp cloth and wipe up the wax. Continue with this process until you have completed the waxed areas. Go back over each section with a clean damp cloth rinsing frequently. Dry wipe each wet section as you work your way over the entire floor.

My floor looked great. I wet wiped and immediately dry wiped each section until the floor was finished. My floor looked better than it ever had. This is a lot of work. Good luck and remember to try a small area first.

By Fancy from Lexington, KY

How do I get Orange Glo off laminate floors?

By Belinda from Ozark, AL

Answers

I would telephone a place that manufactures laminate and also telephone the phone # on the orange glo container, customer help.

http://creolein … to-remove-t.html

The above link has a fix as well as others things users of Orange Glo have tried. I hope it helps you.

I have the high gloss wood look laminate flooring, it is new. I used Orange Glo on it and it really streaked badly. I tried getting it off with vinegar, all that did was leave a dull streaked look. Any help would be appreciated.

By Gay

Answers

I don't know if this will help or not but I just moved out of a house that had high gloss laminate floor and I tried everything, and everything seemed to streak it or dull it. So I started using Windex on a fiber cloth and it worked great, you could actually see yourself in it, it was so glossy! You could try a small area and see if it works for you. Everyone always complimented me on my floor. I never told them my secret, lol.

Just get a steam cleaner. Shark has a sweep and steam cleaner now. They aren't expensive and they work. I have oak floors and they get cleaned with nothing but steam. It even kills germs.

I used Orange Glo wax on my laminate floors over 3 years ago. I used it once a month for about 6 months, now I can't get my floor to look clean. I've tried vinegar, Murphy's Oil Soap, and all types of cleaners. Nothing seems to work. I looked for the Orange Glo wax for a long time and couldn't find it anywhere. I just found some at Walmart and I read the instructions, it says do not use on laminate floors. I was astonished. I came home and read the bottle I still had a little left in and there was no warning about laminate floors on it at all. Can somebody please tell me how to get this Orange Glo off of my light colored laminate flooring? Help please!

By Debbie A

I recently had Mannington laminate floors put in. I went and bought the Orange Glo Laminate Floor Cleaning System (which one of the sales people at the store said they use). It worked great the first time. You must clean and then put the revitalizer on. The revitalizer makes everything shiny and protects from scratches. It is very expensive which is why I switched to vinegar and water/ammonia, and even tried Windex along with the Pergo cleaner. I cannot afford the revitalizer once per week like it says nor do I have the time.

My floor now has this horrible residue that I cannot get off no matter what I try. I called the company (Orange Glo) and they told me to strip the floor. No way will I do that. Any suggestions on how to get the remnants of this Orange Glo off the floor and restore to my natural finish? I have the mop with the removable terry cloth head for laminate floors and I have also tried to scrub on my hands and knees. Please help. I want my floor back.

Jiggysk8 from NJ

Answers:

Residue From Orange Glo Laminate Floor Cleaning System

I don't know anything about the Orange Glo product, but have you tried the concentrated orange/citrus peel cleaner? I've used it (in diluted form) to clean masking-tape residue off windows and I've seen it literally dissolve crayon marks. I've bought it under different brand names in health food stores. Its (naturally occurring) active ingredient is d-limonene, and it has a lovely citrus smell. Best of luck. (04/24/2006)

By Anna M.

Each brand of laminate flooring has their own care recommendations. Pergo brand recommends either their cleaner or a vinegar and water wash with a damp rag. Excess water is very harmful and can get into the cracks and buckle the flooring. Dry the floor with a towel if necessary. No need to rinse. (04/26/2006)

By kidsNclutter

I had the same problem from Orange Glo and found that the Mr. Clean Eraser pads also will gently scrub the floor to get the worst of it off. The only problem is that you have to get on your hands and knees and do small sections at a time, but for high traffic areas it really does work well. I will be using suggestions given for cleaning in the future. Hope this helps. (10/22/2006)

By Dasalp

I have had laminate flooring for about 5 years and have tried a lot of different things. I just read the label on Orange Glo and knew it was not the product I wanted. Lowe's carries a laminate floor cleaner in a spray bottle. The Brand is PB. You can find it in the laminate flooring section. I use a mop with terry cloth towels. Just throw them in washer when finished. When I start I spray the terry cloth until damp and then start spritzing floor and mopping.

I have learned from experience water dulls and spots. I only use water for a heavy spill. Good luck. I have found my floor started to shine like new after several uses. (12/28/2006)

By Susan

I have a resolution, but its not easy. Try Armstrong Floor Stripper for No Wax Floors. I moved into a house with laminate floors. The people who lived here before me left the Orange Glow cleaners so I used it for a while. When I started to notice that my dogs were scratching the floor, I knew something was wrong. Come to find out, the built up residue was what they were scratching. Luckily, they also left the floor stripper in the garage. I tried it in a small area and it worked great. The problem is that it is a project. I bought a scrub brush and attached it to a broom stick that I already had and that seems to make it go a little quicker. Hope this helps. (07/08/2007)

By Leslie

We had the same problem, I did have success with acetone, as recommended by the flooring manufacturer. But the smell makes it not fun. My wife found a floor cleaner, Brite One Step, we mixed it with ammonia and water and it works great at removing the residue. Better than acetone. Give it a shot, and it's cheap. (07/14/2007)

By Colds

Any cleaner with a petroleum base will streak and leave residue on the laminate flooring. I have had the best luck with BioKleen, a non-petroleum based cleaner found in health-food stores and recently in some of the chain supermarkets. I'm not sure how successful it will be in removing existing residue, fortunately my floor never got to that point, but it certainly works well otherwise, and no residual streaks. As a precaution, I do rinse the floor once after washing. (09/24/2007)

By Laura

Orange Glow is the worst I've ever seen.
I have "high gloss" laminate floors.
I tried it all.
Simple Green is the only way to go.

1. Wet small sections 2x2 and hand scrub (yes on hands an knees) with wash cloth.

2. Use terry cloth towel and buff.
    Change buffing towel as it gets moist.

This will remove any residue on the floor and it will shine like new. (01/12/2008)

By Robert B.

I had the exact same problem with Orange Glo. I have been trying for months to fix my floors, I thought I had ruined them actually, The Magic Eraser does help remove the wax film, but it does not get rid of it. What did finally do the trick was cleaning the floors first with the Magic Eraser then following up with Windex with vinegar and a towel. If you let the Windex with vinegar sit on the floor for a few seconds, and only a few seconds, you will start to see the wax film bubble up and with a little grunt work you should be able to once again have film free floors. (02/04/2008)

By Jamie B

Use ammonia, it works. (02/13/2008)

By Dave

When we installed our floors, we used mineral spirits to remove the glue residue. After they were installed, I used Orange Glo for regular cleaning and I noticed the dull filmy residue. I remembered how nice of a shine that we had after using the mineral spirits during installation. So I used it again to see if it would remove the Orange Glo, and it worked beautifully. On hands and knees I poured a small amount of mineral spirits on to a terry cloth rag and wiped a 2x2 area, then went back and wiped off with a dry rag. Shines beautifully. Now I just have to find something to clean with regularly that won't leave a residue. (03/18/2008)

By Sabrina J.

Never use Orange Glo floor cleaner on laminate floors. I did and could not figure out why my floors were shiny, but had gotten darker. It was from the build up of the Orange Glo floor cleaner. I had to use Pledge Multi Surface Floor Cleaner to remove the Orange Glo. Just spray the Pledge product on the floor, let it set for 3-5 minutes and scrub it off with a brush. It takes a while, but you will get your laminate floor back. Now I am using only vinegar and water to clean my laminate floors. (04/07/2008)

Awesome will do the trick. You can buy Awesome at the Dollar Tree or local Dollar store. You spray it on, let it set for a couple of minutes, and then you should be able to gently scrape (with a rubber squeegee) off the funky, gooky, nasty mess called Orange Glo that was left behind. Another poster recommended this and I am thankful to him. I bought 10 bottles and it seems to be doing the trick. Thanks so much. I will go to a vinegar mix from now on. (09/03/2008)

By mommy2just1

I had the same problem so I went to Lowes and Home Depot to get two different opinions and both of them told me to use Bruce Hardwood and Laminate Floor Cleaner, in the 32 oz. spray. I used the Bruce for the first time yesterday and what a difference. Even though the marks are still there they faded a lot just by one application. I can already see the difference which is what I was told it will take time to remove the wax build up from the Orange Glo. The Bruce Hardwood and Laminate Floor Cleaner, 32 oz. spray both at Lowes and Home Depot costs $4.97 a bottle. It's not with the other cleaning products it's in with the laminate floors on the end of the one of the aisles. Just ask for Bruce cleaning.

I called in a professional and we are using Bona stone, tile, and laminate floor cleaner (http://www.1877floorguy.com/bonharfloorc1.html) along with a Scrub Wright pad and good old fashion elbow grease. Those combinations are removing the wax build up. Spray the Bona onto the floor, then scrub in circular motions with the Scrub Wright pad then with a papertowel wipe clean.

Once I've done the whole floor, a day later the professional says to clean the floors with vinegar and water solution then another day later repeat the Bona process if necessary. Once it's all done use either:

the Bruce floor cleaner bruce.com
or

Quick-step Quick Clean: installerstore.com. (06/18/2009)

By linznac