Removing Pickle Odor from a Jar

Category Odors
Some odors can be very persistent and present a cleaning challenge. This is a guide about removing pickle odor from a jar.

How do you get rid of the smell of pickle juice from a jar?

By Linda from NV

Answers

Anonymous
Best Answer

If you don't have an automatic dishwasher just soak it and the lid (the metal lid is the likely source of the odor) in super hot water with dishsoap in the sink. I've never ever known a 'glass' jar where you can't remove an odor after cleaning well, not even a glass jar that contained minced garlic.

If you still smell a pickle juice odor in the lid after doing the above just make a baking soda paste, scrub the lid well and allow to set for a few minutes and then wash again.

Best Answer

Soak the jar and the lid in vinegar (vinegar is cheap so if it takes a gallon to do this it will be worth it IF you really want to keep the jar).

Good luck!

Best Answer

Put a tsp - TBS of baking soda in jar, fill with water, stir to mix, place outside in the sun and let it sit there for a day or so. I've done this for years with 5 gal pickle buckets and the lids from burger joints. I use the buckets for bbq sauce that I baste chicken halves with. Something about the UV from the sun and the baking soda works every time.

Best Answer

Crumpling up a couple pages of newspaper and stuff into the jar. Put the lid on, and in a few days, the order is gone. It works on plastic, too.

Best Answer

A piece of charcoal will work, too. Mother used to put a small bowl of charcoal in the refrigerator in lieu of baking soda.

Best Answer

1/4 tsp peanut butter add 1/2 cup very hot water, shake, shake shake, wash with little soap and water and voila, no odor anymore.

I am trying to get the pickle smell out of glass jars.

Patricia from Bristol, VA

Answers

Best Answer

Put some baking soda in the jar and put the lid on it and let it set for a day or two.

Best Answer

I put crumbled up newspaper in mine for a couple of days. Then remove the paper and wash the jars in hot sudsy water. If the smell is still there repeat the process using fresh newspapers.

Best Answer

I get pickles in large jars and when they are empty I put them without the lid on outside in the Sun for several days, bring them in and wash them and the pickle smell is gone. They make good Sun tea Jars.

Grams 72

Best Answer

I used mustard. Just put it in the jar let it set for a little bit then wash in hot soapy water. It worked for me, and you only need to use maybe a tablespoon of mustard.