AdviceCleaning

Removing Very Hard Jelly from Canning Jars

When my jelly was being made, it smelled great! After I put it in my jars and waited 2 days, I opened it and it was hard as a rock. Can I save my jars? How do I get the jelly out of my jars?

You could put your jars in boiling water and see if that softens it up.

If you don't care about saving the jelly.. which others may have tricks that work, but I don't...put a towel down in the sink and cover the open jars in hot water. The jelly should start to pull away from the sides and when you carefully...with tongs...turn it over it should slither out of the jar. If you don't have a disposal, carefully have it slither out into the trash can. It may take a couple of treatments. I hate waste, so I hope someone has a solution to save the candied jelly!

Take a butter knife and run it around the jelly in the jar. This should loosen it enough to come out. You may need to dig a little. Then soak your jars in hot water, wash, dry and reuse them.

As for the jelly I have an idea. Cut it into slices and layer on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 250 degrees till dry. Don't know how long this will take without knowing the consistency of your jelly. If you do it right you should have a nice supply of fruit jelly like fruit rollups. Kids love the stuff. Roll up in wax or parchment paper to store.

Thank you for your input. Also, I found out that if you put a little water on top of the jelly, and place it in the microwave for about 30 seconds, it will begin to get soft. Run a knife around your jar, zap it again for 20 to 30 seconds and it will slide right out with the help of your knife! Thanks so much for your tips...

Thanks for letting everyone know how you solved your problem but many may be curious about the jelly - did you discard it or find a way to salvage it?