General AdviceConsumer Advice

Removing the Shiny Finish on a Silk Pillowcase

I was wondering how to remove the shine from a silk pillowcase, since I like the texture of silk pillowcase, but not the shiny look of it.

You probably could iron off the finish.

I'm not sure you can remove the shine as silk is created with a shine "in mind".
Maybe you can turn the case inside out and still have silk (but with a dull more textured feel).

Sorry - not much help.
Maybe someone else will have a "tried and true" DIY suggestion.

When I was young, and not always as thrifty as I am now, I had several silk shirts. I would wash them by machine on delicate (because I didn't like hand-washing) and the shine wore away after a few washes and ruined the shirts--meaning they were very dull and not silky looking.

So, if you machine wash them a few times, the shine will wear down, it still will feel nice, but it will look dull (to me bad) but that was bad for a work blouse, not a pillow case. To this day, I have never bought another silk shirt. They felt nice, but were way to high maintenance when I become thriftier!

Hi,

I would actually wash and dry the pillowcase, multiple times to get rid of the shine of the silk. Do not use vinegar in the wash, though, as that would restore the shine.

Blessings,

Robyn

Consumer Advice General AdviceMarch 28, 2019
🌻
🎂
🎃