Repairing Faux Leather Upholstery

I have a very dark brown recliner which has this very odd upholstery that I will call pleather. It looks like very soft leather, but is actually cloth with this thin layer of leather like look to it. I've had this chair for just over two years. All of a sudden it started blistering on the arm and on the back where one puts their head.

The blisters started to open up and peal away. I tried putting some electrical tape on it to cover the spot on the arm, but then that wouldn't stick for very long as people would sit in the chair and stretch the fabric. The chair belongs to my son. He really loves it.

I'm trying everything I can to repair it the best way I can think, but I'm coming up with zilch. I thought perhaps upholstery tape may be the answer, but before I spend any more money, I thought I would ask one of your followers if they had encountered the same problem and what did they do about it?

By Sophia