Repairing Heat Damage on a Wood Countertop

Category Kitchen
Setting a hot pot or baking pan on an unprotected wood countertop and cause damage. This is a guide about repairing heat damage on a wood countertop.

I put a hot dish on our kitchen countertop, which is wood with some kind of plastic/glass finishing, and I have caused melty bubbles (see picture). My landlord is really unhappy with me and wants me to get this fixed and frankly I can't afford to get the whole thing redone. Is there an easy and cheap way to fix this? There is also a white stain from a hot bowl that my housemate caused, any advice on fixing that is also welcome.

Answers

I do not think there is a home remedy to fix this. (If you knew exactly what it was, we might have a hope.) Start saving your money to have it repaired properly, and in future, use some pads under your hot pots and pans.

Anonymous

Sad for you, but no. I own lots of antiques that have been battered over time. I've found damaged surfaces can be restored by you with turpentine and wax, but black marks are too embedded.
Better pay up. see if you can organize a payment plan with a real artisan - search on line. Usually reasonable guys. Or take a few classes. I did and now I love my wood.