Repairing a Cigarette Burn Mark on Clothing

Category Repairing

How do I remove a burn mark on white denim? It is from a cigarette. The burn did not totally go through the fabric. It just looks like a light brown stain on the material. Help please!

By Kim

Anonymous
Best Answer

You can try the lemon and vinegar but it's doubtful that will work. Even if the cigarette didn't burn a complete hole in the fabric it sounds like the outside fibers were burned and a burn equals permanent damage :-( You could do something crafty over the burn mark using embroidery thread or even sharpie pen doodle art work to turn the boo boo into something fun though. :-)

Hi Kim! That's a sucky situation to be in! Sorry that happened to you! First, I would say be careful when smoking when wearing anything. I don't smoke but family members do and we've gotten holes in jackets and shirts. My mom on accident got a cigarette hole in my favorite shirt and the only way to really deal with it was to sew it. It was small so we could, but with your issue it didn't go all the way through the fabric.

You may be able to buy some stain remover if you look around for the type to take off light brown stains. If not you may just have to take it to the dry cleaners. They usually know how to do those things. Next time be very, very careful. I need to take my own advice, white is hard to keep clean and safe so maybe don't smoke when wearing white. Oh and if you smoke in your room where it gets in your clothes, it will turn your clothes colors so be careful with that. Good luck Kim.
Always,
Nicki

Cover it with white-out or similar product. It may last through a few washes then reapply. A burn is permanent.