Repairing a Glass Cook Top

Without replacing there may be ways to fix a crack or hole in a glass stove top. This page is about repairing a glass cook top.

I had a cabinet door handle drop on the edge of my glass cooktop and put a bullseye type divot on the edge of the top. I'm wondering if there is anyway to repair, or fill-in, the divot. It is black glass still.

Answers

Go to Youtube.com for how to repairs!

I would use a windshield repair kit.

I think you will find that almost all sites will say these cannot or should not be repaired but should be replaced.

That said; there are lots of products on the market that advertise their product can be used for this.
If you decide to use one of these products be sure you disconnect the stove before doing anything and follow closely every detail of the instructions.

www.amazon.com/s?k=glass+cooktop+repair&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInKyn76Dj5QIVGqSzCh2G5wq5EAMYAiAAEgLTBfD_BwE... (Affiliate Link)

I totally agree that replacement is the best for safety reasons. I am all about fixing things when it is safe, but something that is used so often and with heat, best to replace!

They do sell window glass repair kits for cars that do work and people fix small cracks in their windows all the time. Considering this isn't your car and it is your tabletop I think this can work.

Most people say not to repair them but to replace them. I would start off with the repair kit and see how it looks. If you are not happy with the job that it did then it is time to replace the piece of glass.

My worry with this is that the repair kit might not be able to handle the hot temperature when the oven is used.

I broke my flattop glass stove one time but it needed to be replaced. As we had inherited the stove when we moved in years before, we just replaced the entire stove.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

I was told the same thing; it's cheaper to replace the whole stove than to buy a new piece of specialty glass.

Thanks, but there are is on the raised edge. There is no heart there at all

My year old glass cooktop is slightly pitted from sugar. How do I know if it has to be replaced? Are the burners safe to use? It's on one of the dual burners and not deep. It is about a quarter circle from top to right. Dang that jalapeno jelly I was canning.

By jd from Jax, FL

Answers

If the glass pitting isn't deep, try cooking with it on low heat and see if there's any problem; otherwise you'll have to replace the whole top and I understand it is just as costly to replace as buying a whole new range. I would refrain from using it as much if possible.

Glass stove tops are great, but they do have their drawbacks such as pitting under certain circumstances. Not long after getting my first glass top range, I accidentally turned the wrong burner on to warm something up and had a porcelain teapot (a big no-no) sitting on one of the burners for looks only. Well, when I smelled something like a hot iron, I looked everywhere and finally saw it was the range. I lifted the teapot and spied a tiny pit made from where the pot had sat. I replaced the pot with a stainless steel and threw out the other one so it would not happen again. I've used that burner numerous times without any problem, but I figure that burner will be the first to have one if/when it happens.

Depending on the type of top you have, more-than-likely it is still fully functional, it just won't look as nice as when it was new. Don't be too hard on yourself. You bought the stove to use, and at least you are getting your money's worth.

Anonymous

If you can remove any cooked or burned on food with a razor blade first then use the glass cook top cleaner to remove the rest and I have burned on some real tough things but they all have come off. I also clean it regularly to avoid cooking and burning something too bad. I have also done the burned sugar thing too. Hope this helps.

I placed the whistle top of a water kettle on the hot burner. It melted onto the glass top. The plastic removed easily, but there is a piece of the glass missing. About 1/2 inch in diameter and a 1/16 inch deep. Is there any way to repair it?

By Ed

If the glass top on your range breaks there are really only two options. One is to buy a whole new stove, secondly you can try to replace just the top. It can be done. This is a page about broken glass cooktop.

Glass Cooktop

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

This is a page about repairing scratches on a glass top stove. Usually easier to keep clean than a conventional range, scratches can mar the glass surface.

Red lit burner on a glass top stove

Home and Garden Repair Appliances Ranges & OvensJanuary 23, 2014
🐛
😎
📓
😷
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Repairing-a-Glass-Cook-Top.html