Repairing a Glass Cook Top

Without replacing there may be ways to fix a crack or hole in a glass stove top. This guide is about repairing a glass cook top.

This is a guide about repairing scratches on a glass top stove. Usually easier to keep clean than a conventional range, scratches can mar the glass surface.

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

If the glass top on your range breaks there are really only two options. One is to buy a whole new stove, secondly you can try to replace just the top. It can be done. This is a guide about broken glass cooktop.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

My year old glass cooktop is slightly pitted from sugar. How do I know if it has to be replaced? Are the burners safe to use? It's on one of the dual burners and not deep. It is about a quarter circle from top to right. Dang that jalapeno jelly I was canning.

By jd from Jax, FL

Answers

If the glass pitting isn't deep, try cooking with it on low heat and see if there's any problem; otherwise you'll have to replace the whole top and I understand it is just as costly to replace as buying a whole new range. I would refrain from using it as much if possible.

Glass stove tops are great, but they do have their drawbacks such as pitting under certain circumstances. Not long after getting my first glass top range, I accidentally turned the wrong burner on to warm something up and had a porcelain teapot (a big no-no) sitting on one of the burners for looks only. Well, when I smelled something like a hot iron, I looked everywhere and finally saw it was the range. I lifted the teapot and spied a tiny pit made from where the pot had sat. I replaced the pot with a stainless steel and threw out the other one so it would not happen again. I've used that burner numerous times without any problem, but I figure that burner will be the first to have one if/when it happens.

Depending on the type of top you have, more-than-likely it is still fully functional, it just won't look as nice as when it was new. Don't be too hard on yourself. You bought the stove to use, and at least you are getting your money's worth.

I placed the whistle top of a water kettle on the hot burner. It melted onto the glass top. The plastic removed easily, but there is a piece of the glass missing. About 1/2 inch in diameter and a 1/16 inch deep. Is there any way to repair it?

By Ed